Make Deco work with new ISP

Sunday - last edited Sunday
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Sorry, I don't know how to find the hardware version. It's not on the same page as the firmware info.

Tomorrow we are switching to a new ISP (Vodafone) and have received a new 'Power hub' (Fibre 2 Broadband). We have a Deco mesh network which has worked brilliantly with our current ISP equipment. I cannot find anywhere an answer to my question of what we have to do to make sure it continues to work with the new one. Is it as simple as just connecting it to the new hub and restarting? Some answers I've found refer to going into the app settings, going to 'more' and choosing IPv4 and putting in new ISP info there. I do not have this option and cannot find anywhere with connection information that I can edit. I also probably wouldn't know where to find that information if it's not printed on the router! (Perhaps it will be!)

Maybe if the Deco is connected to a different device it will prompt me for the information it needs and this will be straightforward - but we'd like to avoid internet downtime trying to sort stuff out so would really like to know beforehand.

If you can help, I'll be very grateful but please explain in detail what you mean and where to find things. I am good at following instructions and do understand the basics but I am not a computer engineer and don't know what all terms mean.

Thank you!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Make Deco work with new ISP
Sunday

@Octavia53 

Do you run your Deco mesh in Router mode or in Access Point mode? You can find that information in Deco app, under Advanced. Check what Operating Mode says.

If you run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, you only need to connect Main Deco with Ethernet cable to new 'Power hub' and everything should work.

Options
Sunday

@Alexandre.

Thank you for this. It's in router mode. If I change it to access point mode before the switch, then can I just plug in and go? Are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to doing it either way? Looking at the description of them I can't see how access point or router mode would make any practical difference. We would just have one network come up on the options instead of two, wouldn't we? 

Options
Sunday

@Octavia53 

It is possible your Main Deco can connect to 'Power Hub' without issues, even if it runs in Router mode. There is just more things to check. In that Advanced page, on the top, what does it say after iPv4 and iPv6?

Example:

If you do have same in your Deco app, your Main Deco should run with 'Power Hub' without need for any configuration changes. Which would be my suggestion. Only after you have Deco working with new ISP, it may be time to discuss if Router or Access Point mode better fits your needs.

Options
Sunday

@Alexandre. 

Unfortunately mine just doesn't look like this! I've tried to attached some screenshots but it doesn't seem to allow more than one. I have an 'internet connection' option on the 'more' page and just 'disabled' for IPTV on the advanced page.

Options
Sunday - last edited Sunday

@Alexandre. Here's the other one. It occurred to me that maybe I should blank out possibly secure info! :D  

Options
Sunday

@Octavia53 

Thanks, that's the right one. 

It appears, all you need to do is connect Main Deco with Ethernet cable to 'Power hub' and Deco mesh should work. To make sure Main Deco understands the change, power it off first, then connect with Ethernet cable to 'Power hub' and after that power Main Deco on.

Options
Sunday
I will definitely try that before anything more complicated! Thank you so much. I really hope it works. We could do with some good luck with technology...!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 97

Replies: 7

Related Articles