Mesh Wi-Fi Routing Issue: Secondary Node Connecting to Wrong Repeater Instead of Main Router

Mesh Wi-Fi Routing Issue: Secondary Node Connecting to Wrong Repeater Instead of Main Router

Friday
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20231227 Rel. 53644

Issue Description: You have a mesh Wi-Fi setup consisting of three routers:

1. Main Router (centralized location)
  2. Garden Repeater (7 meters south of the main router)
  3. 2nd Floor Repeater (2.5 meters above the main router)

The problem is that the 2nd Floor Repeater is incorrectly connecting to the Garden Repeater instead of the Main Router, which causes poor internet connectivity for devices on the 2nd floor. The devices on the 2nd floor are not receiving a strong signal because they are indirectly connecting through the Garden Repeater, leading to reduced performance.

Expected Behavior:

• The 2nd Floor Repeater should directly connect to the Main Router (centralized) to ensure a stronger and more stable connection for the 2nd-floor devices.

This misconfiguration in the mesh network routing is causing suboptimal connectivity, and you're seeking support to fix it so that the 2nd-floor devices can get better internet performance.

How can I force it to connect correct one?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Mesh Wi-Fi Routing Issue: Secondary Node Connecting to Wrong Repeater Instead of Main Router
Friday

@ahmetm 

Please open 2nd Floor Deco info page in Deco app, and post its screenshot here.

This is the example of Deco info page I am asking you to share:

Options
Re:Mesh Wi-Fi Routing Issue: Secondary Node Connecting to Wrong Repeater Instead of Main Router
Friday

@Alexandre. Here it is

Options
Saturday

@ahmetm 

Your Deco has firmware 1.6, just like mine. Still, there is a difference between your and mine screenshots: my has "Connection Preference" line. This is where one can configure where Satellite Deco should connect.

This feature is supposed to be in firmware 1.6, but it also depends on Deco model. Just to be sure all your Deco run on that firmware and you only have E4 in your Deco mesh, please also share Update Deco screenshot from your Deco app. Example:

Options
Saturday

@Alexandre. Your version is a bit higher but 1.6.1 is the latest version for E4R model. All of my devices are same model. I've checked every page and there is no "Connection Preference" settings

Options
Saturday

@ahmetm 

I have Deco M5 with firmware 1.6, and you have Deco E4 with firmware 1.6. According to TP-Link, firmware 1.6 supposed to have "Connection Preference" feature, but it appears E4 is one (of very few) exceptions to that rule.

The only option you have to force 2nd Floor Deco connect to Hallway is temporarily power off Garden Deco. 2nd Floor Deco will have no choice but connect to remaining Hallway Deco, and it will stay connected to it for as long as there is good signal between them. 

After that, you can power on Garden Deco.

Options
Yesterday
I disconnected Garden and 2nd floor has been connected to Main Deco, and main is sending both of them from itself which is ok. but it should be better to manage that links via the app. in every issue or wrong connection, checking from app and power-off power -on is not a good solution.
Options
23 hours ago

@ahmetm 

They have that feature, it is called Connection Preference. It is available for newer Deco models, also some older Deco models, but apparently not in Deco E4 that you have.

Connection Preference: Customize Your Preferred Signal Source

Options