Why not mesh?!

Why not mesh?!

Why not mesh?!
Why not mesh?!
Friday
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.5 build 20231128 ....

I recently moved into a new house, all linked up with CAT-6.

I started off with repeaters for my NOW TV router.   Recently though  I replaced this with a mesh network in my house recently, using TP-Link Deco S7s in access point mode. All 3 nodes are connected via CAT-6.

It's all working beautifully. Except ....

I have 2 devices from Myenergi, a UK energy periphery supplier. One diverts power from my solar panels to heat the hot water, the other is an EV charger which will use solar when available. Since they both divert solar they need to communicate, which they do over WiFi.

The two devices (a "zappi" and an "eddi") simply will not communicate over the mesh network. I can ping them both from my laptop, but they WILL NOT pair.  They were working fine before I put the mesh in.

In order to get it going again, I've connected one device to my WiFi router and set up a non-meshed Wifi repeater and connected the other to that and it's all fine now ... even though they are still on the same subnet as when they were connected to the mesh and not pairing!

What is about a mesh network and these devices - and only these devices -  that just won't play nicely?

Thanks
V

Options
10 Reply
Re:Why not mesh?!
Friday

@valiant3600 

There are many reasons why some devices might not like or can't handle WiFi mesh. How about I suggest you a workaround you could try instead? 

First, question: do you have Deco S7 unit that is close enough for both "zappi" and an "eddi" to see its WiFi signal? If the answer is yes, we can proceed further with workaround, by trying to have both connect to the same Deco S7 unit.

Options
Friday

@Alexandre. Hi Alexandre.  Sadly not, the eddi is in a cupboard in the bathroom upstairs, and the zappi is outside on an external wall on a different side of the house.  I can't position a Deco that both can attach to.

Options
Saturday

@valiant3600 

When you get WiFi connected devices from the company whose expertise is not networking connectivity, they may have WiFi code written by software developers long time ago and before WiFi mesh. That software will work (it was tested, of course), but it might not understand anything outside of standard WiFi connectivity between device and standalone WiFi router.

WiFi mesh brings multiple new features, among them ability for WiFi mesh to tell connected device which WiFi node to connect. If older device can't understand this, it should ignore these commands from WiFi mesh. It should, but if code was written just to expect what standard router supposed to do, the code may get confused (for the lack of better word). You may see device connected to WiFi mesh, you may even be able to ping it, but because it can't figure what WiFi router (mesh) tells it, the code runs in messed state. It can't communicate with network, actually.

What I was thinking is to reduce Deco mesh to single WiFi router (Main Deco) by powering off Satellites, make eddi and zappi connect to Main Deco, turn off mesh feature for them in Deco app, then bring Satellites back and see if workaround still holds.

That won't work, but if you are still interested, we can try with device that uses WiFi range extender. To see if we can get rid of that extender. If that is successful, perhaps we can figure what to do with second device.

Because you have functioning workaround, I'd prefer to move slowly, with discrete simple steps that can be rolled back easily if they fail. In that way, if nothing better works, you'll have what you have now - it won't mess up workaround you made.

So, if you want to proceed, let me know which one uses WiFi range extender, eddi or zappi, so that I can just use its name in steps I'll suggest.

Options
Saturday

@Alexandre.

Thank you for your interest.

In the current, working configuration it is the zappi which is WiFi connected to a regular extender, which is itself connected to the router via CAT-6.  The eddi is connected via WiFi to the main router.

(Note that the extender is connected to the router independent of the Mesh node, but it still works if I connect the extender to one of the Mesh node's ethernet ports).

The configuration is working fine, it's only problem really is that it is making my ears ache.

Options
Saturday

@valiant3600 

OK, so let's try to get rid of WiFi extender that zappi uses. If this is successful, we may even be able to figure how to connect eddi to Deco mesh.

The overall plan will be to dumb down Deco mesh to what is similar to standalone WiFi router without mesh features. If that works and zappi is happy, by walking back and undoing changes we may find setting that causes issues with it.

For that to work, the first step will be to locate nearest to zappi Deco node and make that node Main Deco. This will be the node zappi connects to, with best WiFi signal. If Deco node closest to zappi is already Main Deco, this step is complete.

If not, the easiest will be to physically swap Main Deco node with the Satellite Deco node closest to zappi. When Deco mesh runs in AP mode and all nodes are hardwired, for Deco mesh does not matter where Main Deco is. The nodes swap should go seamlessly.

When you are done with that, let me know and I'll provide next steps.

Options
Sunday - last edited Sunday

@Alexandre. 

I have reconfigued the zappi to connect to the mesh again.  The node it is connected to is (and already was) the main node.  (I would not say that this is its neaerst one, but it's the one it has connected to).

As expected the zappi is no longer functioning as it has lost connection to the eddi.   Yet I can still ping both:

Thanks!

V

Options

@valiant3600 

I am going to ask you make changes to your Deco mesh, that may reduce WiFi coverage and speed. So, find time when you can do them.

This is for troubleshooting purposes and you can easily rollback them. If after making all these changes zappi will work as it should, it may be possible to figure what settings impact it and deal with them.

Please do all changes as I list below, one after another. When all are done, bounce zappi WiFi connection and check how it works after it reconnects.

I am also assuming zappi connects to Deco Main Network. If zappi connects to Deco Guest Network, do not proceed with changes, and let me know.

Changes:

1. Disable dual-band in Deco Main Network and leave just 2.4GHz.

This setting may not be easy to find, you start with WiFi Settings button, drill down to "5GHz and 2.4GHz Network", then Advanced and finally see the following:

Make sure 2.4 GHz is checked and 5 GHz is unchecked.

2. Under More/Advanced disable Fast Roaming and Beamforming

3. Find zappi info page in Deco app, turn off Mesh Technology toggle in it. Example of device info page:

4. Power off all Satellite Deco, leave just Main Deco.

---------

Now, bounce WiFi connectivity between zappi and Main Deco. I don't know how to do that on zappi, but you can just power off/on Main Deco, which will force zappi to reconnect to it.

After all of this, check if zappi works as it should.

---------------

Rollback process: all steps in opposite order.

Options
Sunday

@Alexandre. 

Yes, all done (Fast Roaming was already disabled on the Mesh, and Mesh Technology on the zappi).

As ever, I can ping both devices but they won't connect.

Options

@valiant3600 

Well, we tried.

There is nothing else that can be done. Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz under same SSID) could cause troubles. I have old smart thermostat, it can't handle dual band. Fast Roaming and Mesh can mess with older devices, too. Even having more than one node broadcasting on same SSID could, because very old code may only expect single WiFi router at household.

When everything is turned off, and device can't properly work with Deco, that's it. 

You gave good functioning workaround you put together, looks like it is going to stay.

Options
Sunday

@Alexandre. 

OK well thanks for your effort.  At least I do have a workwround.

My wife keeps complaining that it's untidy and unneceesary.  Now, can you help fix that .....?!!!

Options