Setting up an AX3000 Mesh System to extend the wi-fi signal from my Archer AX2300 modum/router

Setting up an AX3000 Mesh System to extend the wi-fi signal from my Archer AX2300 modum/router

Friday
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

2 options of my planned set up for my wi-fi extension are in the image below.

Our 2 story townhouse is fully linked through multiple ethernet ports with the 'Home Base' for modum connection to the NBN placed under the stair well. This renders the wi-fi signal to the upstairs space as relatively weak.

I bought an Deco AX3000 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System to extend the wi-fi capability of my Archer AX2300 Modum/Router. Using the Deco app, I get through almost all of the set up for the base Deco unit, only to have it go from blinking blue to solid red, which means there is a problem with the connection.I have tried a variety of approaches:

- looked for other options to PPPoE as the designated 'Internet Connection Type' when requested (eg: 'bridge' or 'AP') but there appears to be no other suitable option.

- I am assuming my PPPoE username and password are those I have from initially setting up tp-link as our internet provider and I have used the network username and password we already have in place for our home wi-fi when the app requests a network id

- I have been entering X50-5G when asked what Deco unit I am attempting to connect to

Please let me know if there are flaws in either of the options presented below and advise/feedback on anything I should be doing differently in my app set up.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting up an AX3000 Mesh System to extend the wi-fi signal from my Archer AX2300 modum/router
Friday

@DSER 

1. TP-Link Deco mesh WiFi will not join Archer AX2300 WiFi. After configuring Deco mesh, you will need to turn off WiFi in Archer AX2300, otherwise you'll end with two different WiFi networks at your house.

2. With your setup, when configuring Main Deco, choose "Dynamic IP" as connection type. Start with Option 1. If you can make it work, I'll explain how to transition from it to Option 2.

Options
Re:Setting up an AX3000 Mesh System to extend the wi-fi signal from my Archer AX2300 modum/router
Friday

@DSER 

To add to the above. For connection type, see Step 11 from this FAQ: How to use Deco with your existing router

Options
Saturday

@DSERHey Alexandre

Thank you! I think I am now set up okay, using Option 1. The coverage provided by that system should be fine. However, I will monitor it and, should I have any concerns, I will touch base again. Knowing to use the 'dynamic' connection was the key - pity that advice was not available through the app, nor the verbal advice In took from a call to tp-link tech support. I will go straight tyo this on-line forum in future.

Best regards and have a good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 89

Replies: 3

Related Articles