switching from Wi-Fi 6e for 6ghz to Wi-Fi 6 for 5GHz/2.4Ghz.

Wednesday

The Wi-Fi on my S23 Ultra is giving me trouble. It's connected to a network that has 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz bands, but it won't switch back to 6GHz automatically after the connection drops. Instead, it sticks to 5GHz or 2.4GHz, despite the 6GHz signal being stronger. It seems like the phone moves from Wi-Fi 6E (which is for 6GHz) to Wi-Fi 6 (for 5GHz/2.4GHz). I'm wondering if there's a way to keep it on Wi-Fi 6E, even if it falls back to 5GHz. I can't tell if the issue is with my phone or the router.

Im using BE22000 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 7 AP

Model: HB810

Phone: Samsung S23 Ultra

Options
4 Reply
Re:switching from Wi-Fi 6e for 6ghz to Wi-Fi 6 for 5GHz/2.4Ghz.
Thursday - last edited Thursday

@JS_novice ? doesn't Deco have separate SSID for 2.4/5 and 6GHz? Even if it doesn't, You can create guest network for 6Ghz only and connect to it.

On phone remove 2.4/5 SSID and connect to 6GHz only, then it will not switch between SSIDs. Or unselect autoconnect for 2.4/5 SSID, then u may manually switch when needed.

Deco BE65 x 2-pack / Wireless backhaul / AP mode / JP
Options
Thursday
Yeah, I know that connecting to an SSID could make it work. But when I was using the MLO, I realized that I was able to combine the three bands into one SSID. It's just easier that way. But unfortunately, for devices that don't support Wi-Fi 7, the 6GHz band seems to drop and won't be picked up again in any situations.
Options

@JS_novice I think (maybe wrong) for MLO there is a separate SSID, so in my network with 2xBE65 in AP mode it's 4 SSID:

1) Host Network : for 2.4/5G devices. I keep 2.4G disabled so everyone forced to use faster 5G

2) Host Network(6G): for 6G devices, such as WiFi 6E and later, this one doesn't use MLO

3) MLO Network(5GHz & 6GHz): same as 2 but has MLO enabled, WiFi 7 devices with MLO support connect here and can use 5G&6G for better speeds

4) IoT Network: this one set to use 2.4G only for IoT devices which don't support 5G and WPA3

* MLO is WiFi 7 only thing, if client device supports it it should connect to MLO enabled SSID 3

** If some random client device without MLO WiFi 5/6/6E/... connects to MLO enabled SSID 3, I think it may or may not work or may work as You described above. If I were You I started to test MLO on separate SSID. No older (<WiFi 7 with MLO) devices should use MLO SSID or knowing TP Link it may be a lot of bugs if it will work at all...

Deco BE65 x 2-pack / Wireless backhaul / AP mode / JP
Options

So the MLO on these older devices that don't support Wi-Fi 7 is kinda whack. If you drop the 5GHz and 6GHz bands, it just gets stuck on 2.4GHz and won't budge. TP-Link really dropped the ball on this one.

I'm keeping an eye on their MLO implementation, hoping they'll fix this mess. If they do, I'll let you know. But I'm not holding my breath.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 86

Replies: 4

Related Articles