X50-5G and Poynting XPOL 2 - Question about speed changes when using antenna

a week ago
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

For a few weeks I have been using an X50 5G witha  3 SIM in the UK. I am about 750m from the cellphone tower and my signal strength indoors in the best part of the hosue, varies from about -94db to -99db. With the built in antennas I get around 80mbps down and abot 35mbps up.

I was curious how much better the performance would be if I got an external antenna - so I have just tried a Poynting XPOL 2. This a pretty large directional antenna.

In my first test playing around with the best direction I managed to get a signal strength of -88 to -90. However, while the signal strength is significantly better according to X50 it did not make any noticeable difference to my download speed. Interestingly though it did make a significant difference to my upload speed - that went from 35 mbps to over 50.

I am curious why this antenna would inprove the upload but not the download. Does this simply indicate that I am limited by congestion. (At least at the time I did the test.) Or is there another reason?     

Options
1 Reply
Re:X50-5G and Poynting XPOL 2 - Question about speed changes when using antenna
a week ago

@GadgetObsessed 

Hi,

Thanks for posting on TP-Link Community.

Adding external antennas will not necessarily improve the download speed of the router.

The situation you are encountering may be due to congestion.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 56

Replies: 1

Related Articles