TP Link Archer C80 Slow WiFi?
Yesterday
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.12.10

Hello

Hardware Version V1

Firmware Version 1.12.10

I'm having trouble reaching the full potential of this Router.

I have 1Gbit speed from my provider. When I connect to the router via cable I get around 800Mb/s of download speed.

But when I connect to the WiFi the speed is around 300Mb/s and this is on the 5GHz Netword. On the 2.4GHz I get around 50-60Mb/s.

Testing is done like no more than a meter from the router. To be fair the router has some good covarege. But that is way less then the flashy 1300Mbits advertised.

I have tried this with a bunch of laptops and phones with the same results. I have been in places that have WiFi6 routers, but only with my phone and have seen 600+Mb/s (with the WiFi6 icon on). Not sure what their provided speeds were thow.

I saw a couple of threads on the forum with the same issues, but did not find any solution.

The router's WiFi Setting are:

2.4GHz

Transmit Power: High

Channel Width: 40 MHz

Channel: Auto

Mode: 802.11b/g/n mixed

5GHz

Transmit Power: High

Channel Width: 80 MHz

Channel: Auto

Mode: 802.11a/n/ac mixed

MU-MIMO:Enable

My WiFi properties are:

SSID:    *******************************
Protocol:    Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type:    ***************************
Network band:    5 GHz
Network channel:    36
Link speed (Receive/Transmit):    780/866 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address:    ***************************
IPv4 address:    192.168.0.105
IPv4 DNS servers:    192.168.0.1
Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation
Description:    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version:    22.160.0.4
Physical address (MAC):    ********************

So the Link speed is 780/866 (Mbps), but that is not the actual speed. The actual speed is around 40-50% of the Link speed. Also the "Link speed" changes a bit, but it mostly varies around those numbers 780/866 (Mbps).

Now I have seen some tables explaining MIMO Antenas and they say that at 80MHz with 1MIMO the maximum is 433Mbits, Dual Steam (2x2) - 866MBits.

The Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz that I have has 2x2 antenas which should go to the 866Mbits. Well if that is the case why is that I'm only getting around 300Mbits, like 40% of those 866Mbits? Is that normal?

If that is the case then those 1300Mbits are really the "Link speeds", not the actual speeds. You should also check the type of WiFi card that you have as if you do not have a card with 3x3 or 4x4 Antenas, or what ever comes next you are not going to be able to use the full potential of the routers.

If that is the case then If I get a WiFi6 router I would get like double on the 80MHz Channel Width - around 600Mb/s actual speed. And If I can find a 160MHz router then I should get the full 800Mb/s (potential 1.2Gbits of actual speed). But I guess a 160MHz router is a stretch and a gain of 200Mb/s is negligible.

So what is it - actual speed is 50% of Link speed and I have achieved tha maximum speeds with my setup. Or there is something wrong with the router or it's settings and I can get more of my setup with some tweakes.

Thank you!

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP Link Archer C80 Slow WiFi?
13 hours ago - last edited 13 hours ago

@babametca 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

According to your description, I think your speed belongs to a normal range.

You may read this guide to know more about internet speed on a TP-Link router.

And it also suggested to refer to this troubleshooting guide to check your settings and this article to improve your wireless speed.

BTW, 1.12.10 is not the latest firmware, you may check from our official website and update to latest first.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 45

Replies: 1

Related Articles