Deco Unit Connecting to Non-preferred Unit

2 weeks ago
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20240111 Rel. 84321

Hi there,

I have a Deco Mesh system consisting of six AX1500 units and three M5 units. I have a very large, very old house with extremely thick stone walls so I can't have much space between the Deco units (hence the number). An AX1500 is nominated as the main unit. All units are running the most up to date firmware.

Map shown below:

My issue is with the unit named Erin's Bedroom - this one consistently drops off the network as it is trying to connect to Dining Room which is too far away. I have tried setting the connection preference to Hallway to keep it connected and even set up a bridging unit Pink Room which is placed physically between Hallway and Erin's Bedroom to try to prevent the dropout, but it still keeps connecting to Dining Room.

It wouldn't be such an issue, but the PC in the bedroom is connected to the Deco Unit via ethernet cable as it doesn't have WiFi. If it was a WiFi enabled PC then the signal is plenty strong enough in the room to connect.

Is there anything I can do to stop this one unit always trying to connect to a unit that's too far away? It's so frustrating as the rest of the network behaves itself as it should.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco Unit Connecting to Non-preferred Unit
a week ago

@DJBenz 

Hi,

Please check if there are any thick walls or metal devices which may affect it connection to the Hallway one.

Is it possible to connect this unit to other units via Ethernet cable?

What is the model number of Erin's Bedroom one? 

You can also exchange it with other Deco unit, to test if it is an issue with this certain Deco unit, or with a certain location.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Deco Unit Connecting to Non-preferred Unit
a week ago

@Sunshine 

Thank you. Unfortunately the units are not able to be connected via ethernet cable (and this defeats the point of having a mesh anyway!).

When Erin's Room is connected to Pink Room the signal shows in the app as strong. Pink Room to Hallway is also strong and Hallway to Dining Room is the same. The Pink Room -> Hallway -> Dining Room chain never has issues and always stays connected to the preferred unit. Even before I added Pink Room, Erin's Bedroom would try to connect to Dining Room instead of Hallway or Kitchen (both physically closer than Dining Room).

It's like Erin's Room changes its connection to Dining Room then drops off the mesh because the units are too far apart (which they are), but it should never choose to connect to that unit because 1. Its connection preference is Pink Room and 2. It's a weaker connection than any other unit in the mesh.

The unit Erin's Bedroom is an AX1500 running firmware 1.0.6 Build 20240111 Rel. 84321 (as are all the other AX1500s in the mesh). Today it's working fine, map below, but I know that some time in the next 24 hours I'm going to get a cry of "DAD!, MY WIFI'S NOT WORKING" laugh

I will try your suggestion of switching it with another unit to see if it's hardware or location specific.

Options