Issues with wifi, connectivity, DHCP

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.5 Build 20231128 Rel. 64440

Hello,

3 weeks ago I got an offer from Orange for FTT*. Optical converter, Orange Zyxel router (with wifi switched off) and Deco S7 unit are in the garden house as it was more convenient since the FTT is in our location on el.distribution poles. 

From the garden house it is around 20-30 metres to the next Deco S7, which is located upstairs window in typical large semi-detached house, with perfect visibility between Decos.

These two Decos create a network SSID "MC9". 

The house is large and so I have installed 2x WR840N, both as repeaters for MC9 network - one in left side of the house and one on the right side. Both these repeaters are there to provide Ethernet connection for Orange TV settopboxes. And also for indoors other clients (iphones, androids, laptops, nothing special).

There were big problems from the beginning. Unreliable connections, unable to connect, no IP assigning, TV issues. After trying like almost everything, it started working for 4-5 days. Until another iphone connected to the wifi and problems started again.

I am IT person, working as PHP,Mysql... web developer. I have also installed various wifi networks in difficult places in the past.

The only thing I have not yet tried is changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 in the main Zyxel router for DHCP clients (the only DHCP client is Deco S7) , when I do this I will also switch off NAT and QoS in the Zyxel since Deco is doing all this. And maybe also lower the firewall settings in the Zyxel. But not sure if Deco is secured enough.

8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 is set in the wifi settings for Decos clients.

I can put the list of everything I did, but it was nearly everything from assigning IP addresses, trying QoS settings, beamforming on/off, mesh on/off. Network optimization function is risky, since one time it assigned channel 1 and the signal lost but I was lucky to barely connect and run the function again to get channel 5.

I was really expecting this to be trouble free, since it is just a garden with few trees and house with visibility.

Dont let me down on this TPLINK!

File:
mc9.pngDownload
Options
2 Reply
Re:Issues with wifi, connectivity, DHCP
3 weeks ago

@MatejX 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you tried to set Deco S7 into the Access Point mode and leave Zyxel as the only NAT/DHCP router?

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Did you use the same SSID-"MC9" on both 840Ns as Deco or separate SSIDs for each TL-WR840N?

Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea to set TL-WR840Ns wirelessly connected to the Deco S7. The wireless network is easily affected by nearby interference working on the same frequency. Moreover, TL-WR840N is 2.4 GHz only.

- if you need extra Mesh units, it would be much better if you could add 2 more Deco S7 units.

Have you tried to simplify the network topology, for example, leaving the Zyxel router and 2*Deco S7 only to test whether the pure Deco Mesh system could maintain a stable and decent connection?

Is there any chance that you could connect the TL-WR840N via Ethernet cable to the satellite Deco S7, and set 840N in "Access Point mode" to extend more wireless range elsewhere?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Issues with wifi, connectivity, DHCP
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@David-TP thanks for your reply.

I have changed/updated the network topology but still with difficulties. Now also figuring our with Orange if they can find out.

It was working like a charm, for 5 hours...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 141

Replies: 2

Related Articles