AP mode with BT smarthub

AP mode with BT smarthub
AP mode with BT smarthub
2024-09-04 21:36:54
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

As we have digital voice from BT, I need to use their "smart hub" . However it's fairly useless at providing WiFi around the house. Hence using 5 x Deco Axe5400.

For past 3 months replaced the BT hub for the Deco which had worked well but losing the digital voice. I now wish to re install the BT hub for the DV and use the Deco for WiFi etc.  

Tried today but failed. Having set deco to ap mode.

Any advice on how to set up a BT smart hub and connecting deco axe5400 would be much appreciated.

Have reverted back to just the Deco in router mode, taking BT hub out of circuit 

Kind regards Andrew

Options
7 Reply
Re:AP mode with BT smarthub
2024-09-05 08:27:54 - last edited 2024-09-05 08:29:04

@Skydog 

Hi,

For your case, it is recommended to use this topology:

BT hub---Deco

If you let BT hub work as a modem router, then you can set up Deco in AP mode to avoid double NAT issue.

And if you just want to use Deco WIFI, you can turn off the WIFI function on the BT hub.

If you have any issue with Deco device, please provide more information so that we can better help.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-09-05 09:19:04

@Sunshine  Thank you for reply.,  afraid I seem to need slightly more help.more of a step by step guide.

Whilst had an attempt yesterday, not sure I either didn't change enough settings on BT smart hub 2 or proceeded in the right order. 

Had changed deco to Ap and plugged into BT hub which was into modem on FTP

Kind regards 

Andew

Options
2024-09-05 12:48:48 - last edited 2024-09-05 12:54:29

@Skydog 

Hi, I use BT FTTP with the BT hub and my Deco's in AP mode, I can try and help you.

With your main Deco still attached to Fibre ONT (small box on the wall), on Deco App go to "more" > "advanced" > "operation mode", choose "access point", apply and Deco network will reboot.

Once rebooted your Deco light will be red.

Connect BT hub to ONT via ethernet cable, cable should go into the yellow port at back of BT Hub with red mark above it (WAN port), make sure BT hub is working and you have internet through the BT hub, then connect main Deco that was connected to the ONT to an ethernet port on the rear of the Hub, so one of the other 3 yellow ethernet ports, the main Deco light should go green which means you now have internet via the Deco.

Assuming your BT Hub wifi is still enabled, access BT hub and turn off the wifi on it altogther so its only your Deco mesh that has wifi broadcasting.

Not sure how the rest of your Deco's are set up after the main Deco, but if you get the main Deco to work with a green light then the rest will normally work as well.

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 in AP mode connected to Archer C80.
Options
2024-09-05 15:22:17

@klipse Hi,

Many thanks for reply. Much appreciated

Will try later. Pretty much what I tried yesterday but maybe not quite in right order. Probably rushed it. So failed. Didn't persevere and reverted back to just the deco.  As said will try following your method tomorrow.

Many thanks

Andrew 

Options
2024-09-05 16:36:57

@Skydog 

Deco light can take a while to go green so yeah be patient lol. Cheers 

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 in AP mode connected to Archer C80.
Options
2 weeks ago

@klipse   finally got round to doing it. Worked perfectly first time thanks to you help. Thank you.

Unfortunately the BT DV  phones don't work. They register but then think there's no internet. It's likely to be a Bt issue having spent 4 1/2 hrs on a chat line, grrr,  finally to get it raised to another level. Before going on chat I had removed the Deco from system so that wasn't the issue.

Now awaiting BT response.

I've reinstalled the Deco back into system via BT router and that's again working fine.

So many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Kind regards Andrew

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Great, good luck with getting the DV sorted out. The BT community forum is also a good place to post for BT issues with lots of helpful people there too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 188

Replies: 7

Related Articles