Wifi Calling & QOS

Wifi Calling & QOS
Wifi Calling & QOS
2024-08-07 15:37:15
Tags: #Wifi calling
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.0.12

Wifi calling works on my network but the quality is very poor and often people can't hear us. It's fine on another network so I assume it must be either the fact I don't have much bandwidth, or something to do with the Deco network.

All my settings seem correct, although I have not configured port forwarding. The reason for this is partly that we have many phones but also Apple use virtual IP's. My assumption is that given wifi calling at least partially works, that the port forwarding is not necessary.

What I would like to do is to prioritise wifi calling using QOS. However it seems the only QOS option is to prioritise individual devices permanently. Am I missing something??

Options
4 Reply
Re:Wifi Calling & QOS
2024-08-08 06:17:52

@SimonGA 

Hi, nice to see you again.

As for the QOS settings, I don't think you missed anything.

May I know your mobile service provider for the WiFi Calling?

Can I also have the model number of your smartphone?

Could you please help me help me run the following test:

1. Temporarily power off the satellite Deco Mesh units and leave the main Deco X73-DSL only.

2. Enable the “Airplane Mode” on the smartphone.

3. Then test the Wi-Fi calling voice quality again.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-08-08 15:17:37

Hello again  @David-TP !

My mobile service is from EE, however we also have the same problem with my partner who has ID mobile (which uses the Three network).

My phone is the iPhone 15 Pro Max and my partner has the iPhone 13 Pro Max phone.

I will do the test as soon as I can turn off the other Decos - at present we need them to work. Doesn't airplane mode also disable the wifi? How will calls work?

The strange thing with the issue is that we can hear people perfectly - it's just they can't hear us (only internittantly).

Simon

Options
2024-08-09 06:31:52

@SimonGA 

Hi, Airplane mode disables the mobile service and Wi-Fi Calling should still work when Airplane mode is enabled. 

You mentioned earlier in the first post "It's fine on another network". Did you test the Wi-Fi Calling service on other Wi-Fi networks?

I noticed you both used iPhones and there was a similar suspending issue in the Apple Community:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255174231?sortBy=rank

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-08-09 07:44:37

Hi  @David-TP 

I have used Wifi Calling on another network but only once so it's difficult to be sure about this proving anything as the issue can be a bit intermittent.

Thank you for the Apple article. Interestingly I have also noticed that WhatsApp is fine and so  family have been using that option now. If WhatsApp is working okay then that suggests that the issue could well be Apple or my Wifi Calling provider. I will try some of the suggestions, and get back to you if I discover anything! Thanks again for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 255

Replies: 4

Tags

Wifi calling
Related Articles