Recycle Bin of Hard Drive connected via USB accessed locally from Windows 10

2024-07-31 19:04:55
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2

Hi

I have a SATA Hard Disk plugged in to the USB slot of the Archer 6000 wifi router. When I acess the disk from Windows 10 I can see all the files as normal (sharing the disk - not the media files).

But when I delete a file from this disk it just vanishes, I can not see it from my Windows 10 desktop shortcut recycle bin. There is a recycle bin folder on the actual disk that I can browse to, but this also does not contain the files I deleted, any idea on how I can set this drive up with recycle functionality in windows 10 ? 

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Recycle Bin of Hard Drive connected via USB accessed locally from Windows 10
2024-08-01 20:48:12 - last edited 2024-08-01 20:48:44

@marcusob 

Hi,

The Recycle Bin feature has to be implemented by the system that provides the network share (i.e. the system to which the actual drive is attached).
It can't be done by the system that accesses the network share over a network.

However, the "USB storage" feature of home-grade routers (even the expensive ones) usually only provides very basic features. If you need a network share with more advanced features, then you might want to get a real NAS device from one of the well-known vendors.

The example screenshot below is from my 15 year old NAS device that has the feature.

Options
Re:Recycle Bin of Hard Drive connected via USB accessed locally from Windows 10
2024-08-01 23:47:49

@woozle Many thanks for the reply. Thats the exact answer I needed, so basically its an OS feature, and the Router has nothing to do with it. I was thinking of a NAS jus tdidnt want another computer to be running in the house 24/7, but if thats the only choice then I'll have to go with it. Thanks again. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 179

Replies: 2

Related Articles