Router Mode X20 Mesh
Router Mode X20 Mesh
2024-07-23 14:25:43 - last edited 2024-07-24 03:37:32
Tags: #Installation #Router mode
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

I have a Netcomm nf18acv modem/router and 3 X20 TP Link Deco mesh devices.

If I connect the X20 in Router Mode* and turn off wifi on the Netcomm device can I still use the ethernet ports on the Netcomm device or will that cause issues?

Or is the best way to avoid issues to turn Bridge mode on on the Netcomm device and then only connect any ethernet only devices directly to the X20's ?

*I'd prefer Router Mode so I can use the enhanced features such as Parental Controls, QoS, Antivirus, HomeShield etc.

Regards Rob 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Router Mode X20 Mesh -Solution
2024-07-23 15:46:05 - last edited 2024-07-24 02:43:31

@RobAC 

There is another option: configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. Also, as you plan, turn off wifi on the Netcomm device. With that configuration, you can use Ethernet ports on the Netcomm device without issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-10 12:41:08 - last edited 2024-08-10 13:15:35

@RobAC 

It is still OK to use the Ethernet ports on the original modem in non bridge mode, but they will only work without issues for devices which connect to Internet only. For example, Roku or Android TV set top box. If you have Smart TV that you want to watch Netflix on, it would be OK to hardwire it to modem. If you brought home office laptop that does not need to connect to your home LAN - same thing, OK to use modem Ethernet port for that laptop.

Anything which needs connection to home LAN may have issues if wired to modem Ethernet port. For example, if you have desktop PC hardwired to modem, that PC may not be able to use printer connected over WiFi to Deco mesh.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2024-07-23 15:46:05 - last edited 2024-07-24 02:43:31

@RobAC 

There is another option: configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. Also, as you plan, turn off wifi on the Netcomm device. With that configuration, you can use Ethernet ports on the Netcomm device without issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Router Mode X20 Mesh
2024-08-09 04:57:28

@Alexandre. thanks and apologies as I've only seen your message now.

I was also interested in using the Parental Controls feature which is only available in Router Mode.

If I avoid using the ethernet ports on the original modem (besides connecting the main deco) do I still need to change the original modem to Bridge Mode?

Regards Rob

Options
2024-08-09 12:41:34

@RobAC 

You can start without changing the original modem to bridge mode. In many cases, it will be just fine. You will need original modem in bridge mode only if you find an app or device (such as XBox) complaining it can't connect. If it happens, usually the error message will say something about "double NAT." 

Options
2024-08-10 00:02:15

@Alexandre. fantastic thanks for letting me know - I'll try that approach - in non bridge mode is it still ok use the ethernet ports on the original modem too?

Options
2024-08-10 12:41:08 - last edited 2024-08-10 13:15:35

@RobAC 

It is still OK to use the Ethernet ports on the original modem in non bridge mode, but they will only work without issues for devices which connect to Internet only. For example, Roku or Android TV set top box. If you have Smart TV that you want to watch Netflix on, it would be OK to hardwire it to modem. If you brought home office laptop that does not need to connect to your home LAN - same thing, OK to use modem Ethernet port for that laptop.

Anything which needs connection to home LAN may have issues if wired to modem Ethernet port. For example, if you have desktop PC hardwired to modem, that PC may not be able to use printer connected over WiFi to Deco mesh.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-10 12:44:53

@Alexandre.  thanks again - your expertise is greatly appreciated 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 272

Replies: 6

Tags

Installation