How to make printer available on old and new network

2024-07-22 23:52:13 - last edited 2024-07-22 23:53:40
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Image depicting printer connected to old network which is connected to new network, and second diagram depicting printer connected to new network which is connected to old networkHi everyone.

I’m not too familiar with networking so I’m hoping someone can help me figure this out. Long story short, I have to have a network on my old router (MikroTik) and my new network (Deco S7s). 

I have a printer and I want to be able to access it from both networks. I’ve attached two diagrams for how I could possibly wire it but I’m just not too sure how to work out the part about making the printer show up on both networks. 

Deco S7 V1.2 - 1.5.1 beta

Deco M4R & S7 (V1.2)
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to make printer available on old and new network
2024-07-23 00:14:51 - last edited 2024-07-23 00:19:43

@NitroGeorge 

Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, and instead of two networks you'll have one (combined). Then, you can connect printer to either router, or Deco - both diagrams can do. Printer will be visible for every device connected to router and for every device connected to Deco mesh.

For steps, see Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2024-07-23 00:49:49 - last edited 2024-07-23 00:50:50

@Alexandre. So my problem with this is that I lose a lot of Deco features. Is there a way to make the printer discoverable without putting my Deco's into AP mode?

I have to use the mikrotik unfortunately because of my ISP :( I also can't directly control the MikroTik because my ISP restricts access. 

Deco M4R & S7 (V1.2)
Options
2024-07-23 12:31:31 - last edited 2024-07-23 12:49:59

@NitroGeorge 

You did ask for simple to implement solution. Access Point mode is the simplest. Here is another option:

1. Turn off MikroTik WiFi. You have Deco mesh, it will provide WiFi coverage;

2. Do not connect anything other than Main Deco to MikroTik Ethernet ports. Have only Main Deco hardwired to MikroTik;

3. Connect printer to Deco mesh, it will be first diagram. If you plan to hardwire printer, you can connect it to any available Ethernet port of any Deco node, Main or Satellite.

Because all devices are now connected to Deco mesh, wired and wireless, they all on the same network and should all see printer. In addition, you can use all Deco mesh features you now have.

-----------------------

For step 1, if you absolutely can't control any MikroTik settings including WiFi, this is what you can do instead:

1. Configure Deco WiFi mesh (Main Network) with different SSID than MikroTik WiFi. Make all devices Forget MikroTik SSID. Configure all devices connect to Deco mesh SSID.

Steps 2-3 remain the same.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 194

Replies: 3

Related Articles