Setting up a Deco extension network

2024-07-15 20:54:03
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version:

Hi all

This is really to check out how easy something might be to set up and what I need to do/purchase to make it work....  It may not be in the right place, but please, mods, move it it isn't!

So, I currently have Starlink internet & am running off their router.  My previous network ran on TP Link, so anxious to stay with that, since it was good to use and reliable.

Current issue is that I need to get wifi access in an outbuilding c 50m, from the house.  That is beyond the expensive TP Link wifi extenders I bought last time I tried, so....

So, the TP Link CPE210 should take care of that & this is where it gets interesting.
The easy version would be to connect 2 CPE210s and then get a wifi access point and run a seperate network in the barn, but I can use this opportunity to make the wifi signal in the house better and create a larger network, so....

If I upgrade the router in the house to a TP Link AX 50, then set up a deco network in the house, I can just plug a Deco thing into the CPE210 at the barn end by ethernet & everything will just work, right?

Or won't it?  Do I need more kit, is there a fatal flaw, or doe sthis sound reasonable?

TY in advance and sorry if this is not placed well!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up a Deco extension network
2024-07-15 20:59:53
& realising that I might not need the router, in which case, I could just plug a Deco into my LAN from Starlink and run the wifi from there? Should also have asked, which Deco is best for the above?
Options
2024-07-16 07:22:08

@richie_b 

Hi,

CPE210 belongs to the business products. The topology that you describe can work, but the CPE210 cannot simply join the Deco mesh system.

If you set up a Deco system in your home, and connect the CPE210 to Deco with Ethernet cable, you still need to set up the CPE210.  

And for more information about CPE210, I will move it to the business community, and you can get more help there.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-07-16 07:55:37

@richie_b 

Hi, Do you use Starlink Gen 1 or 2, even 3?

Do you plan to use a pair of CPE210s to establish Ethernet Backhaul between the Deco(in the house) and the Deco(in the barn), such as:

Starlink router---the main Deco---<cable>---CPE210~~~CPE210---<cable>the satellite Deco

By the way, how much for your internet bandwidth?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-07-16 08:11:13

Thank you, @Sunshine and @David-TP

In answer to the questions, we have Stalink gen 2.

Your description of the network I am planning is right.  I am assuming (so should check) that running the LAN cable from the Starlink adaptor to a hub, then to a Deco will work OK, since I have several pre-wifi items, so have a wired LAN too.  The CPE 210 can then run on an extension to this?

Bandwidth varies.  Some factors are obvious (cloud cover, for eg), but assume there are contention ratios and other stuff involved too, but I get between 45-105mbps down (typically, though, 70-90) and a reasonably constant 20 up

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 142

Replies: 4

Related Articles