Two networks at once on AP mode?

2024-07-12 13:21:24
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

In order to sort out a problem with mirroring my Apple products to my LG G2 TV, I am now using my three Deco units in AP mode and have enabled the wifi on the modem/router provided by by network provider. (It was previously in bridge mode and the problem with the Apple products has been solved.)

Let's call my old network OLD and the provider's NEW. 

I thought the result of going over to NEW would be that OLD would disappear somehow but it seems I now have both when I would prefer to do away with OLD to prevent confusion. I have checked and the units are set to AP in the Deco app. 

Can I get rid of OLD in some way and just use the Deco setup to extend NEW? How do I do that please? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Two networks at once on AP mode?
2024-07-12 13:46:34

@jadw137 

Deco mesh will not extend modem/router WiFi. The current situation you have is like having two separate WiFi routers from different manufacturers each broadcasting their own WiFi network.

If everything connects to Deco mesh WiFi just fine, it is recommended to turn off modem/router WiFi.

Options
2024-07-12 16:14:01 - last edited 2024-07-12 16:14:43

My problem that everything does NOT work fine with the Deco network on its own. That's why I got the provider's wifi working and that enables me to mirror my Apple products to the LG TV so I am not planning to switch off the provider's wifi. (It also enables the provider's technical staff to have access to my full network to correct another issue which has arisen.)

I don't really understand what Deco means by Access Point if what you are saying is correct. All previous Access Points I have come across were extending the main wifi so you logged in on them using the main wifi name.

At present, it seems as if both networks work perfectly well but it would be less confusing to have only one.

Options
2024-07-12 19:28:51 - last edited 2024-07-12 19:40:13

@jadw137 

According to CISCO, which is authority in all things Networking, "A wireless access point (WAP) is a networking device that allows wireless-capable devices to connect to a wired network."

This is definition from times when we had routers without WiFi, but it is still valid definition. This is what Deco does in its Access Point mode.

---------------------

Usually, it is devices that can only run on 2.4GHz have problems with WiFi mesh (any brand, not just Deco). It is because their wireless code may have been written before WiFi mesh became household networking gear, and does not understand WiFi mesh.

If you have devices like that, and it seems you do, these are my recommendations to handle them:

1. Keep only 2.4GHz band enabled on provider's ISP router;

2. Disable 2.4GHz band in Deco app for Main network, run it on 5GHz only:

3. Configure provider's ISP router WiFi and Deco mesh WiFi with different SSIDs.

4. Configure devices that connect to Deco mesh to Forget provider's ISP router SSID. Configure devices that connect to provider's ISP router SSID to Forget Deco mesh SSID.

Options
2024-07-14 09:05:55

@Alexandre. Many thanks for this suggestion which I am implementing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 244

Replies: 4

Related Articles