Adding a TP-Link Deco to a AT&T Pace Gateway and passthrough mode - is this possible and secure?

Adding a TP-Link Deco to a AT&T Pace Gateway and passthrough mode - is this possible and secure?

2024-07-09 23:56:13

I have an AT&T Pace Gateway and in our two-story house have issues getting coverage to the upper, front corner of the home. I am looking at two possible TP-Link Deco models ( XE70-Pro or the S4). I think either would work for now (XE70-Pro is more for future use).  According to the AT&T documentation I have to put the TP-Link in DMZplus (passthrough mode) and configure it to obtain the IP address through DHCP.

I think my biggest concerns are:

1. Can I setup the Deco in this DMZplus (passthrough) mode?
  2. Is it secure to put the Deco in this mode? I see that TP-Link might offer some type of security but if it’s a monthly service I am not planning at this time to go spend this money to buy the product and then a recurring cost forever to be able to use it. So if its not secure just adding it, then I am probably not going to purchase it.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Adding a TP-Link Deco to a AT&T Pace Gateway and passthrough mode - is this possible and secure?
2024-07-10 06:43:08

@Randy393 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Is the AT&T Pace Gateway U-verse Pace 5268AC:

https://www.amazon.com/U-verse-Gateway-Internet-Wireless-adapter/dp/B0779ML8SS

According to the support article here:

https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-internet/KM1188700/

the IP Passthrough (Passthrough Mode)  is configured on the ATT WiFi gateway(not on Deco) to make it work as a bridge modem, not a router anymore.

After putting ATT Gateway in Passthrough Mode, Deco will work in wireless router mode and assign IP addresses for the mobile devices.

If you don't want to use the firewall settings on Deco, I think you don't need to put AT&T Pace Gateway into Passthrough Mode.  AT&T Pace Gateway could work in the current router mode, then set Deco S4(more recommended since it is also WiFi 5 standard) into Access Point mode.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1842/

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Adding a TP-Link Deco to a AT&T Pace Gateway and passthrough mode - is this possible and secure?
2024-07-10 13:04:19 - last edited 2024-07-10 14:13:45

@Randy393 

This could be quite complex and overwhelming stuff if you are not familiar with IT. I would recommend starting with your Internet provider: as far as I know, AT&T offers AirTies 4971 Wi-Fi Extender. WiFi Extender can be used to expand WiFi coverage.

This WiFi extender is compatible with Pace 5268AC.

I can't provide links to third party sites on that forum, but just google for AirTies 4971 Wi-Fi Extender and you should see relevant info from AT&T.

Options
2024-07-10 14:12:13

@David-TP  Thank you for the response. That is the correct Pace model. So in theory I could continue to use the current router for devices until I can move them over to the Deco network and it could also be used as a fallback if I was running into issues with the Deco. Is that correct?

Options
2024-07-10 14:15:07

@Alexandre. Thanks for the reply. Yes they do provide extenders. I was avoiding it in part to keep from adding on an endless, extra monthly charge but I will look into it again to see cost/benefit as it does remain a possible solution to my problem.

Options
2024-07-11 19:58:22

@David-TP @Alexandre I did look into the AT&T WiFi extenders. They do provide them for the Pace and run $10 a month (so $120 a year and will obviously increase).  I think I am going to try the Deco S4 and see if I can get it working as you recommended David.  By setting it up as you suggested, it should still retain the AT&T firewall security and gives me more time to get everything migrated over to the Deco as I can leave devices on the AT&T router until I can get to them. If I can't get it working I'll return the Deco and go the AT&T route. Thank you both for your feedback.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 728

Replies: 5

Related Articles