Global Parental Filters Options?

2024-07-05 12:37:32 - last edited 2024-07-05 12:38:34
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.61

I have Sky broadband and have enabled full parental controls. I then noticed that I could access content which should have been blocked. When I checked, I noticed that when I connect to the Sky router it's being blocked, but as soon as I connect to the Deco network it overrides the controls.

Is there a way of setting up parental controls to be global rather than having to set up a profile and doing it by device? This seems every fiddly!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Global Parental Filters Options?
2024-07-05 12:47:23

@JMNathan 

To force Sky router Parental Control on devices connected to Deco mesh you will need to configure Deco mesh run in Access point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2024-07-05 13:19:44

@Alexandre. That's interesting, but that totally defeats the point of having a mesh system in the first place!

Is it not possible to set global controls on the Deco? I know I can add a profile to block content on certain devices, but then what happens when new devices join the network? Say when my kids have a friend over, would I need to manually add each device to the profile?

Options
2024-07-05 13:32:45

@JMNathan 

At my house I use Deco mesh to provide WiFi coverage, it runs in Access Point mode. Parental controls are set on my ISP router. 

This is unfortunate flaw in Deco parental control design: when new device joins Deco mesh, it runs unrestricted. What's worse, if you have "MAC address randomization" enabled on device, all it takes is disconnect and reconnect device to Deco mesh for it to appear as a new device (with different MAC address).

Options