TP-Link Deco X50-DSL problem when connecting to Netflix via Samsung smart TV

2024-07-04 12:56:31
Model: Deco X50-DSL  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20240103 Rel. 64294

Hi,

I have very interesting problem with my TP-Link Deco X50-DSL. I have installed my new modem at home. All devices can connect internet without any problem. Also samsung smart tv can also connect to the internet. But Netlfix application of Samsung smart TV is not opening. Ther is no problem on internet connection, because Youtube application on the same TV is working fine. I can watch youtube videos. But netflix and disney plus are not working. Netflix application running or iPad is also working fie. iPad is connected to the same deco wifi with the TV. But TV is not opening Netflix and disney plus. 

How can I solve this problem? Is there any mismatch?

I have updated firmware on Deco X50-DSL but nothing changes. Also changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 and nothing solved.

Please help

Options
13 Reply
Re:TP-Link Deco X50-DSL problem when connecting to Netflix via Samsung smart TV
2024-07-04 14:30:31 - last edited 2024-07-04 14:30:51

@KaanT 

Google "Netflix application on Samsung smart TV is not opening" and follow extensive list of troubleshooting steps, which includes uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix app on Samsung TV.

I used to have Samsung TV and, how would I say politely, was not impressed. Used Roku device with Samsung TV just to have stable experience with standard apps such as YouTube and Netflix.

Options
2024-07-04 14:34:35

@Alexandre. Yes, I tried uninstall and re-insall. but nothing changed :(

When I use hotspot on my iphone and connect samsung tv to iphone's wifi, there is no problem on netflix. But when I connect wifi via Deco X50, netflix is not connecting. Also youtube works well with  Deco X50 wifi connection. 

It is very interesting problem that I cannot understand why.

Options
2024-07-04 14:50:01 - last edited 2024-07-04 14:50:26

@KaanT 

What if you start Netflix app when TV is connected through hotspot, keep app open, shutdown hotspot forcing TV connect to Deco mesh - then run Netflix troubleshooting from the opened app.

You'll find in Netflix app under "Get Help" both network status under "Network" and connectivity test under "Check my Network."

Options
2024-07-04 20:46:25 - last edited 2024-07-04 20:47:14

@Alexandre. Nothing changed :( 

but the thing I have realized when connecting via iphone hubspot and deco is like that.

when I connect via iphone hubspot, in netflix connection check screen I see wlan0 and p2p0 wifi is connected. But when I connect via deco, it seems as wlan0 is connected, p2p0 is not connected. Only difference is this. But dont understand what the p2p0 is, and how can I make it connected.

Options
2024-07-05 03:55:52

@KaanT 

Hi, Thank you very much for the message.

The "p2p0" connection here says in essence "direct connection". You could refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct.

If the TV is connected to a Wi-Fi router, it should be wlan0.

I think it is related to the issue that Samsung TV can't access Netflix/ Disney Plus.

May I know who is your internet service provider? Before using Deco X50-DSL, did you use any other DSL modem router? and would you have a similar issue?

If the ISP-provided router worked fine, could you please help me run a simple test:

1. connect the ISP router back to the DSL service, then set Deco X50-DSL temporarily in wireless router mode/dynamic IP.

2. then check whether the TV can open Netflix/ Disney Plus.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-07-05 10:36:55

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Before using Deco X50-DSL, I was using a TP-Link TD-W9970 with having no connection issue in Netflix/Disney plus.

I have removed Deco X50-DSL and connect TP-Link TD-W9970 again, there was no problem in Netflix connection. Also, when I look into Netflix's connection settings screen, I've seen again P2P connection is connected. I think the differences between 2 different Tp link devices is something like that. May be, there is some configuration our support missing in Deco X50-DSL.

I haven't tried Deco X50-DSL with wireless router mode. But, at last I will need to use only one modem in my home setup. Not possible to use Deco X50-DSL as wireless router :(

Options
2024-07-05 22:00:11

@David-TP 

hi, do we have a chance to solve this connection issue? Is there any misconfiguration on tp link deco? Can we solve via new firmware update?

otherwise I wont be able to use tp link deco that i like so much about its coverage and signal quality.

Options
2024-07-08 02:28:12

@KaanT 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I'd like to follow up on your case via email and ask the senior engineer for more advice.

Please check whether you can receive my email later.

By the way, have you configured any parental control rules for the Samsung TV before?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-07-08 09:09:36

@David-TP 

Thanks for your help. I will wait a reply from the escalated engineer.

For your another question, No I did not any parental control rules on Samsung TV. I use default settings and basic wifi connection.

Options
Wednesday

@KaanT @David-TP 

i have the same issue with Netflix, although my Disney+ access is working ok.

i was using deco M5 previously and added a Deco X50 5g to the network.

i also have issues with Channel4 streaming app but only when advisements are playing.  Generally the program will play if you wait the time until the adverts are played out.  I escalated this to the channel4 app team and they point the problem towards the router.

response from channel4 dev team below 

"..... something on the viewer's side is blocking this, they mention they've moved to EE 5G with a TP-Link Deco X50 5G router. I don't think it's the ISP side but I suspect the router could actually be blocking the calls out for the ads. It contains technology called HomeShield which is a traffic inspection system with various levels of protection including web filtering and link protection.
   I am not using Homeshield as far as I know unless this is hidden from the app config!

I would suggest the viewer reviews these settings, they should even be able to see if HomeShield is actually blocking anything related to twmm dot com or channel4 dot com via the reporting functionality of the router."

i have similarly connected the Samsung tv to an iPhone hotspot using the same sim as used in the router and other sims to double check and the channel 4 advert issue goes away.  Netflix also plays.   If I play either apps on my iPhone connected to the same router everything is ok.  If I try to cast the Netflix to the TV, the TV app takes over and I am back to the situation where it won't play.

I get similar but more random issues with the ITV X streaming app.  Programmes play ok, but some adverts won't play.

Previously, I wa using Deco x5 connected to the internet router dumbed down to a modem with the M5 network providing DHCP and WiFi functions.

very weird and similarly if this can't be fixed I will have to look for an alternative 5G router and return the X50 as not fit for purpose.

the router seems to be blocking access to certain web services or sites.

very difficult to pin down and with limited router configuration via the app, it's hard to get any real meaning full look at what is going on.

i am happy to provide logs if this helps

regards

Alan

Options