Which mesh for a long house?

2024-06-28 20:03:40 - last edited 2024-06-29 15:20:59

We have a, for want of a better explanation, a 'long' house. It is almost literally built in a straight line with the room housing the main router at the one end and the main bedroom at the other (where I have a smart TV and thus need connection as well). It is also a single story house with no plans to build up.

Note that there is a Cat 6 cable running from the main router to the main bedroom already (currently running a slaved router in the bedroom with a extender in the middle) as well as a Cat 6 cable to my son's bedroom (gaming PC purposes).

I can get either the E4, M5 or X20 all at reasonable pricing. What would the best recommendation be? And how many nodes?

Not sure about exact dimensions, but using rough calculations (and a 5m measuring tape) it's about 20m from main router to extender in kitchen and another 15m to second router in main bedroom, so about 35m total distance)

Excuse the crude drawing, not my main talent.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Which mesh for a long house?-Solution
2024-06-29 12:12:54 - last edited 2024-06-29 15:20:59

@Quintusson 

I think you will be able to deploy Deco mesh by yourself (with my remote assistance), no need to spend money on someone's else help, at least until you try.

Your list of Deco models you currently consider is: E4, M5, M9 Plus and X20. Out of all these models you must exclude E4: it has 100Mbps Ethernet ports and once you upgrade your Internet link to above 100Mbps, this will be the bottleneck. All other Deco models on your list are with gigabit Ethernet ports.

Just like yourself, I am very much "wired connectivity" person: whatever can be hardwired at my house - it will be. Which means, I went through Deco mesh deployment with same mindset you will, and also now I understand why you have Ethernet cables through the house. By the way, they can be used nicely by Deco mesh.

Your list should now consist of:  M5, M9 Plus and X20.

I run Deco mesh with M5 and M9 Plus. These are WiFi 5. You can squeeze up to 475Mbps over WiFi from M5, standing near it. As you move further, speed drops. You can get up to 650Mbps from M9 Plus in ideal conditions. 

If to choose from M5 and M9 Plus, I would recommend M9 Plus: stronger WiFi signal, more powerful unit. I agree with those "other" people: for WiFi 5, M9 Plus is an excellent device.

On the other hand, both M9 Plus and M5 appear to be End of Sale or close to it. They have decent hardware and firmware that can run for years with no issues, but if you can't get M9 Plus I would suggest to go with X20, which is WiFi 6 and can deliver WiFi speeds up to gigabit.

Who knows, maybe in 2-3 years you'll upgrade your Internet link to  500Mbps, then M5 might not be enough and M9 Plus will barely support that speed.

In summary: X20 or M9 Plus preferred, but M5 is also OK. 

-------------------------------

Deco mesh deployment recommendations.

Deco mesh will not share WiFi with Main Router. Which means, you will need to turn off WiFi on Main Router and place Main Deco near it, connected to Main Router. Main Deco will broadcast WiFi instead of Main Router.

You will also need two Satellite Deco units, which will be Ethernet wired (this is strongly preferred setup). One goes to Main Bedroom, another goes to Spare Bedroom 2.

Total for your house: 3-unit Deco set.

Placement of Deco units: at Main Router, in Main Bedroom, in Spare Bedroom 2.

Each Satellite Deco unit has two Ethernet ports that behave like 2-port gigabit switch. You connect one port of Satellite Deco to Ethernet cable, whatever was connected to that cable should now be connected to second Ethernet port of Satellite Deco.

It should be possible to deploy Deco mesh with 3-unit set without additional cabling in your house, and without need for additional 8-port gigabit switch. If your Main Router has four Ethernet ports, they can be used to connect Main Deco and two Satellite Deco to them. This may require configuration change in Deco app, but it is simple and I can return to that later, after you decided on Deco model, and decided you are buying Deco set.

Commenting on "I've read on here, there's an issue on that with the X20 as it's very model specific and I not sure what the model is I can get on special."

They are talking about hardware versions of X20. This is true statement, but if you deploy Deco for strictly WiFi mesh coverage (not for parental controls, etc.) and each Deco unit will be hardwired the way I recommend, it does not matter what hardware version of Deco X20 you will get. They all provide same basic WiFi mesh functionality.

------------------------------

This was long post and if you have follow up questions or need to clarify something from it, feel free to ask.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Which mesh for a long house?
2024-06-28 21:19:38 - last edited 2024-06-28 21:30:00

@Quintusson 

It's a good drawing, good enough to figure what you have.

I have questions for you that will help to give you recommendations:

1. What is the speed of your Internet connection? 

This will help to figure which Deco model is right for your house.

2. Do you have acceptable WiFi coverage over the house with what you have now, or are there WiFi signal gaps (and where) you need to have covered?

This will assist with figuring how many Deco nodes you'll need.

3. If you move WiFi Extender from the Kitchen and place it to Spare Bedroom near the Ethernet cable, for testing purposes, will you have good WiFi coverage with that setup all over the house?

Same reason as question #2.

4. Currently, in the kitchen, does WiFi extender connect to Main Router or to Bedroom 2nd Router?

This will help with Deco mesh topology related decisions.

5. What are brands and model names of both routers and of WiFi extender?

This is to make sure you are getting Deco mesh with WiFi protocol at least as good as what you have now. 

Options
2024-06-29 08:18:44

@Alexandre. Thanks for responding so quickly.

1. What is the speed of your Internet connection? 

This will help to figure which Deco model is right for your house.

- Currently it's 100Mbps, but looking to upgrade to 200- or 300Mbps in the short term.

2. Do you have acceptable WiFi coverage over the house with what you have now, or are there WiFi signal gaps (and where) you need to have covered?

This will assist with figuring how many Deco nodes you'll need.

- Wi-fi coverage wise, the house is covered, though the extender is not strong enough to run my son's gaming PC hence a separate cable that runs there. Also,the extender drops quite badly in speed (tested now from son's room with door closed and got 6Mbps only). The kitchen has an opening in the wall between it and the lounge, so the signal from the main router reaches the extender. Honestly, my main gripe is needing to manually switch between MainWifi and MainWifi_Extender the whole time if I am busy in the kitchen or such and keeping a decent speed while doing so. 

3. If you move WiFi Extender from the Kitchen and place it to Spare Bedroom near the Ethernet cable, for testing purposes, will you have good WiFi coverage with that setup all over the house?

Same reason as question #2.

- As per response in Q2, due to the opening in the wall (not sure what designers or architects call it), the extender gets a decent signal from the main router as it's almost uninterrupted by walls. If I were to move it to the spare bedroom, I would need to try and connect it to the main bedroom signal, but that's through many walls, so may not suffice

4. Currently, in the kitchen, does WiFi extender connects to Main Router or to Bedroom 2nd Router?

- It connects to the main router. Between there and the main bedroom there are too many walls to interrupt signal

Just realised now, I forgot to draw in the dining room. It's right between the kitchen and where the main router is. That section of the house is quite open plan with no doors between each room, but double door sized spaces entering into each area.

I do not mind buying a 3 piece mesh kit, and maybe an additional 4th one if needed for better coverage (though I've read on here, there's an issue on that with the X20 as it's very model specific and I not sure what the model is I can get on special). I also might, if it's still on special then (slightly limited with cash) get the M9 plus as I have seen people say it's quite brilliant. But things like the X50 or such is out of price range.

Hope this helps?

Options
2024-06-29 08:23:30
Going to get someone to install it for me - what I know about routers, etc. is quite scary actually - so if I need to run an additional Cat6 cable to another place where one of the routers would need to be, I do not mind. Thinking of getting a 8 port gigabit switch to connect to main router in any case as my gaming- and work PC's are both in the area where the main router is and I'm old-school in preferring a cable connection to them (unless you can convince me otherwise - refer earlier comment about being a caveman re networking), and to run to my son's PC as well
Options
Re:Which mesh for a long house?-Solution
2024-06-29 12:12:54 - last edited 2024-06-29 15:20:59

@Quintusson 

I think you will be able to deploy Deco mesh by yourself (with my remote assistance), no need to spend money on someone's else help, at least until you try.

Your list of Deco models you currently consider is: E4, M5, M9 Plus and X20. Out of all these models you must exclude E4: it has 100Mbps Ethernet ports and once you upgrade your Internet link to above 100Mbps, this will be the bottleneck. All other Deco models on your list are with gigabit Ethernet ports.

Just like yourself, I am very much "wired connectivity" person: whatever can be hardwired at my house - it will be. Which means, I went through Deco mesh deployment with same mindset you will, and also now I understand why you have Ethernet cables through the house. By the way, they can be used nicely by Deco mesh.

Your list should now consist of:  M5, M9 Plus and X20.

I run Deco mesh with M5 and M9 Plus. These are WiFi 5. You can squeeze up to 475Mbps over WiFi from M5, standing near it. As you move further, speed drops. You can get up to 650Mbps from M9 Plus in ideal conditions. 

If to choose from M5 and M9 Plus, I would recommend M9 Plus: stronger WiFi signal, more powerful unit. I agree with those "other" people: for WiFi 5, M9 Plus is an excellent device.

On the other hand, both M9 Plus and M5 appear to be End of Sale or close to it. They have decent hardware and firmware that can run for years with no issues, but if you can't get M9 Plus I would suggest to go with X20, which is WiFi 6 and can deliver WiFi speeds up to gigabit.

Who knows, maybe in 2-3 years you'll upgrade your Internet link to  500Mbps, then M5 might not be enough and M9 Plus will barely support that speed.

In summary: X20 or M9 Plus preferred, but M5 is also OK. 

Deco mesh deployment recommendations.

Deco mesh will not share WiFi with Main Router. Which means, you will need to turn off WiFi on Main Router and place Main Deco near it, connected to Main Router. Main Deco will broadcast WiFi instead of Main Router.

You will also need two Satellite Deco units, which will be Ethernet wired (this is strongly preferred setup). One goes to Main Bedroom, another goes to Spare Bedroom 2.

Total for your house: 3-unit Deco set.

Placement of Deco units: at Main Router, in Main Bedroom, in Spare Bedroom 2.

Each Satellite Deco unit has two Ethernet ports that behave like 2-port gigabit switch. You connect one port of Satellite Deco to Ethernet cable, whatever was connected to that cable should now be connected to second Ethernet port of Satellite Deco.

It should be possible to deploy Deco mesh with 3-unit set without additional cabling in your house, and without need for additional 8-port gigabit switch. If your Main Router has four Ethernet ports, they can be used to connect Main Deco and two Satellite Deco to them. This may require configuration change in Deco app, but it is simple and I can return to that later, after you decided on Deco model, and decided you are buying Deco set.

Commenting on "I've read on here, there's an issue on that with the X20 as it's very model specific and I not sure what the model is I can get on special."

They are talking about hardware versions of X20. This is true statement, but if you deploy Deco for strictly WiFi mesh coverage (not for parental controls, etc.) and each Deco unit will be hardwired the way I recommend, it does not matter what hardware version of Deco X20 you will get. They all provide same basic WiFi mesh functionality.

------------------------------

This was long post and if you have follow up questions or need to clarify something from it, feel free to ask.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-06-29 13:05:28 - last edited 2024-06-29 13:08:18

@Quintusson 

One more thing. 

In some regions TP-Link started to offer Deco X10, which is even more budget-friendly than X20 and also supports WiFi6. Check if they sell X10 in your region and if you can get four X10s (it will be two 2-unit sets) for about the price of 3-unit set of X20.

If you can, and if you can get Ethernet cable to the Kitchen from Main Router, having four X10s will be preferred Deco mesh setup. First three Deco X10 will go same places as with X20/M9 Plus/M5 deployment, 4th Deco X10 goes to Kitchen and is also hardwired.

Options
2024-06-29 15:20:16

@Alexandre

I truly appreciate all the thorough feedback, thank you. My current main router does not support mesh however, so I assume I would need to get a new one to run the DECO setup? Or could I use one of the satelites I get to run as a main router (that was my thinking initially, hence saying I wanted to get a 8-port gigabit switch linked to it).

Options
2024-06-29 17:30:50 - last edited 2024-06-29 17:38:42

@Quintusson 

You will not need to buy new router. The plan I have for you is same I had for myself: start with what already there, make minimal changes to existent network - and if Deco mesh is not up to expectations just power it off, send back to retailer for refund and have original network setup back without much efforts.

When you get familiar with Deco mesh, you can start experimenting. You will always have original Deco mesh configuration to rollback if something does not work. If you try to make many changes at once at the beginning, it'll be hard to figure what went wrong if it did.

Do not buy networking switch yet - not every switch is compatible with Deco mesh.

The plan is for you to get Deco mesh hardware, configure it using Deco app on smartphone (must have smartphone), and then run it in Access Point mode: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

In Access Point mode, Deco will provide WiFi mesh, Main Router will still manage LAN: IP addresses allocation, DHCP, DNS, etc., etc. 

The additional benefit of AP mode is you can use all Ethernet ports on Main Router and everything connected to Deco mesh (wired and wireless) and to Main Router LAN ports will be on the same network.

Let me know when you order Deco and what model, and I'll give you recommendations on how to configure it. TP-Link documentation that comes with Deco should be enough, but few steps I may need to clarify for you to make it seamless experience.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 340

Replies: 7

Related Articles