Deco says no internet but internet is working fine, probably DNS issue

2024-06-26 14:53:59 - last edited 2024-07-01 08:24:32
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi,

maybe someone is abel to shed some light on a weird problem.

My setup is as follows:

Archer VR2800v which provides internet access and DHCP but basically nothing else.

Deco X55 connected via Ethernet Cable to the router, two more X55 units which are part of the Mesh and the complete thing running in access point mode.

I also run my own adguard DNS server locally in a Docker Container (which in turn uses Quad9 as downstream servers).

All of the above is on the latest firmware versions.

Internet via Wifi works just fine but the X55 says there is no connection and the LEDs are red.

Now when I change the DNS server to either Google or Cloudflare everything works just fine, however I would like to run my own as I do ad blocking on a network level with the adguard DNS.

Strangely enough, a week ago everything just worked fine with red light and the decos working fine with my own DNS.

So my question is, was there a change in how the "online detection" works? Does the DNS have to resolve a special address?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: When I use the built in wifi diagnosis in the deco app, there is a ping timeout, however if I use the advertised Wifi Toolkit app, everything the same ping to google.com just works fine.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco says no internet but internet is working fine, probably DNS issue-Solution
2024-06-28 12:12:14 - last edited 2024-07-01 08:24:32

So final update and hopefully a proper solution (for now):

I applied different upstream servers and restarted the container which helped for some hours but afterwards it reverted back to the old behavior.

Did a bit more researching and came over this Github issue (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/issues/6818) which seems to address the issue but no fix available for now.

I applied the proposed solution of downgrading Adguard to version 0.107.49 after which latency dropped and everything is online again.

EDIT: Typos.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco says no internet but internet is working fine, probably DNS issue
2024-06-26 15:19:14 - last edited 2024-06-26 15:35:23

@konstantin_bc 

Main Deco uses DNS queries with set of Internet domain names for Internet connectivity health check. It is possible AdGuard automatically downloaded new version of one of its DNS blocklists, which blocked DNS queries for one of domain names Main Deco uses.

Check AdGuard logs for blocked queries from Main Deco IP address. Find which domain name is blocked. Unblock it for Main Deco. If that will not be enough, check if there were more than one domain name blocked and unblock them all.

Options
2024-06-26 15:44:33

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the hint. I found one site looking like it might have to do with TP Link, which would be tplinkextender . net (not linking here as there is definitly something fishy going on, would't recommend visiting).

The site redirects through a lot of jumps to someting completely different. All of the rest is the typical marketing network stuff (google, aws, adobe, cloudflare).

Do you happen to know which specific domains are queried for the internet check?

Options
2024-06-26 15:54:21

@konstantin_bc 

I do not have exact list of domains, and it could be changing with time. I would recommend to whitelist Main Deco IP address in AdGuard through Exceptions, Client List or some other means available (check AdGuard docs if necessary). In AP mode, Main Deco only sends DNS queries from itself, not on behalf of other devices connected to Deco mesh.

Also, to make that persistent, set static (reserved) IP address for Main Deco on your Archer VR2800v Router.

Options
2024-06-27 08:17:21

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for all the help, got it sorted out.

Weirdly enough it had nothing to do with a blocked domain but with the upstream DNS provider. I initially used Quad9 as provider for adguard and have now switched to Cloudflare.

Unfortunately I don't have any time to dig deeper right now, but on the weekend I might set up Wireshark and see what's going on exactly.

Options
Re:Deco says no internet but internet is working fine, probably DNS issue-Solution
2024-06-28 12:12:14 - last edited 2024-07-01 08:24:32

So final update and hopefully a proper solution (for now):

I applied different upstream servers and restarted the container which helped for some hours but afterwards it reverted back to the old behavior.

Did a bit more researching and came over this Github issue (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/issues/6818) which seems to address the issue but no fix available for now.

I applied the proposed solution of downgrading Adguard to version 0.107.49 after which latency dropped and everything is online again.

EDIT: Typos.

Recommended Solution
Options