Network setup queries

Network setup queries
Network setup queries
2024-06-22 08:30:03
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hello,

I have a Deco S3 setup however have a number of older WiFi devices that cause problems.

The only way I have managed to get this to work is to keep the 2.4ghz network running on my router as standard and then have a separate 5ghz network running on my mesh network.

I connect the older devices that don't seem to like mesh networks - Sonos and Google home hubs. Unfortunately I can only interact with these devices with my phone connected to the 2.4ghz network. Therefore the end result being I spend most of my time just bypassing the mesh system.

I have tried a number of different combinations of setup. I have had 2.4ghz and 5ghz routed by my deco however the older devices seem to be not recognised when you are going through a different access point to the one the device is connected to.

Is there any way round this with older tech than running two different networks independently? The older devices really don't like skipping around the mesh network.

Thanks for any advice.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Network setup queries
2024-06-22 09:56:42

@TheLaughingCow 

Did you try disabling the "mesh technology" option for the problematic devices?

Options
2024-06-22 12:36:14

TheLaughingCow wrote

Hello,

I have a Deco S3 setup however have a number of older WiFi devices that cause problems.

The only way I have managed to get this to work is to keep the 2.4ghz network running on my router as standard and then have a separate 5ghz network running on my mesh network.

I connect the older devices that don't seem to like mesh networks - Sonos and Google home hubs. Unfortunately I can only interact with these devices with my phone connected to the 2.4ghz network. Therefore the end result being I spend most of my time just bypassing the mesh system.

I have tried a number of different combinations of setup. I have had 2.4ghz and 5ghz routed by my deco however the older devices seem to be not recognised when you are going through a different access point to the one the device is connected to.

Is there any way round this with older tech than running two different networks independently? The older devices really don't like skipping around the mesh network.

Thanks for any advice.

@TheLaughingCow 

What you have is excellent workaround, the one I suggest to people who have older devices that don't understand WiFi mesh. You only need one more step to make that work for you: configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode.

When Deco mesh runs in Access Point mode, everything will be on the same network. Including devices connected to router over WiFi and to its Ethernet ports, and devices connected to Deco mesh over WiFi and to Deco Ethernet ports.

Here is the process: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2024-06-22 14:24:32

@Alexandre. 

Thanks you for the assistance.

I just wanted to clarify. I have my deco mesh network as let's call it ssid deco5ghz. It is set to both 5 and 2.4ghz.

I then have a seperate 2.4ghz network let's call that defaultrouter2.4 produced by my router

When I connected older devices to deco5ghz they would not be recognised when presumedly my phone had connected to a different deco access point (I have 3).

So I setup the defaultrouter2.4 said. All old stuff connect to that. I can only access the old stuff if my phone is on the default router2.4 SSID.

I'm not running in AP mode.

What benefits are there to AP mode what would change? Also have I over complicated this? I basically want WiFi throughout the house without having to swap to my routers WiFi connection just to adjust a home device.

If I only had a deco mesh WiFi on 2.4ghz with no other SSID would this cure it or would I still have problems hopping between access points on older tech?

Many thanks

Options
2024-06-22 14:36:47
Just to add I have just switched on AP mode and testing if this allows me to manage devices whilst on my mesh network....
Options
2024-06-22 14:37:57

@TheLaughingCow 

You can also configure Main Network on Deco to run on 5 GHz only, to avoid WiFi interference on 2.4GHz channels between router and Deco mesh:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 310

Replies: 5

Related Articles