LAN Cable to secondary node/unit question.

2024-06-21 11:36:44

Hi everyone, considering getting a mesh network wi-fi system for home.

Considering the TP Link AC1200 2 unit system.

My question is this:

I'm planning on having the 1st(main) unit be the one that is connected to the fibre ONT, and then the 2nd unit be in my room. So based on my knowledge of how mesh networks work, the second unit will communicate with the first unit. So then, would I be able to plug a LAN cable from the second unit into my ps5 and see solid and stable speeds?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:LAN Cable to secondary node/unit question.
2024-06-21 12:41:05

@RedT25 

Yes, you would be able to do that. 

------

In regard to your choice of Deco model. I can find at least two Deco models under AC1200: Deco E4 and Deco M4. There might be Deco M5, too. If you tell me which Deco model you are considering and what is the speed of your Internet connection, I'll be able to tell if you are making the right choice.

Options
2024-06-21 14:26:02

@Alexandre. 

Hi!

So as per the amazing site, it says the model name is Deco e4 and it features 2 deco M4 units. Not sure if it's a mistake.

My question is, would doing that with the LAN cable make it stable and better than just normally connecting the PlayStation wirelessly 

Options
2024-06-21 14:41:51

@RedT25 

Yes, using LAN cable will make it more stable and better than connecting PlayStation wirelessly.

Also, you should not be buying Deco E4 if your Internet link speed is faster than 100Mbps. It is because Deco E4 has 100Mbps Ethernet ports.

Deco M4 has gigabit Ethernet ports. Both M4 and E4 look alike.

Options
2024-06-21 16:23:57

@Alexandre. 

Sorry for the late reply Alexandre.

So our fibre speed is a 200 up and 200 down package.

So you say I should get the M4 version then? As the LAN cable would be better on that? 

Options
2024-06-21 17:22:44 - last edited 2024-06-21 17:22:58

RedT25 wrote

@Alexandre. 

So our fibre speed is a 200 up and 200 down package.

So you say I should get the M4 version then? As the LAN cable would be better on that? 

@RedT25 

Yes, you should definitely get M4.

Another options are M5 and M9 Plus. Check their prices and availability, if within your budget, I would recommend M9 Plus.

Also, yes, the LAN cable will be better. For any Deco model you choose, the answer on that question will be the same.

Options