Plugging a computer into a Deco satellite

2024-06-10 11:04:18 - last edited 2024-06-13 07:22:28
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a Deco (2 or 3-way) mesh eg. AC1200 but I can't conclusively establish whether I can connect an ethernet-only computer to one of the satellite units.

I know you can plug ethernet into the main unit, (like a normal router,) but my computer is on another floor and I can't practicably run cable (otherwise I wouldn't need a mesh!). I also know that the units themselves can be connected via ethernet, (backhaul?) which suggests that it can  be done even if there's only one port per unit.

I'm just trying to get ethernet downstairs, even if part of the journey is via wifi. Can I do this using a satellite of a Deco ac1200? I have Googled and enqired myself blue in the face trying to confirm this, for any Deco model.Can anyone please help me?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Plugging a computer into a Deco satellite -Solution
2024-06-10 12:36:11 - last edited 2024-06-13 07:22:28

@michael_hoste 

You can use Ethernet ports of Satellite Deco to hardwire devices to it. One of my Satellite Deco has PC wired to it, another - Smart TV.

If you want to hardwire more devices to Satellite Deco than it has Ethernet ports available, you can get standard unmanaged gigabit networking switch, connect it to Satellite Deco and that will expand number of Ethernet ports to hardwire devices to.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Plugging a computer into a Deco satellite -Solution
2024-06-10 12:36:11 - last edited 2024-06-13 07:22:28

@michael_hoste 

You can use Ethernet ports of Satellite Deco to hardwire devices to it. One of my Satellite Deco has PC wired to it, another - Smart TV.

If you want to hardwire more devices to Satellite Deco than it has Ethernet ports available, you can get standard unmanaged gigabit networking switch, connect it to Satellite Deco and that will expand number of Ethernet ports to hardwire devices to.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Plugging a computer into a Deco satellite
2024-06-11 10:10:20

@Alexandre. Thank you for clarifying that. I didn't want to buy one online until I knew for sure!

As you say, I might need an ethernet switch or splitter, but at least I'll have a connection where I want it. Many thanks.

Michael

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 294

Replies: 2

Related Articles