M4 goes offline when netwerkkable plugs in

2024-06-08 12:58:30
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.2 build 20240308 Rel. 55841

Hi all,

I am a bit lost, for almost 3 years I have used a DECO M4 set (three satellites),main satellites connected by a CAT6 network cable, the second satellite (third floor) also connected via CAT6 network cable (via main satellite)  the third satellite via WiFi. 

The WiFi of the router was/is switched off, the DECO set is in AP mode. It has worked well till 3 weeks ago. The second connected one that is on the third floor was offline.When I disconnected the network cable it came a life ..... Mall function of one of the satellites I thought. So I switched the two slaves. No improvement. I changed the complete set for a new one. I installed the new set, configured it complete from start. When connected via WiFi al is good, but asl soon as I plugged in the network cable .... it goes offline.

So I changed the network cable ... but still no luck.

What the f**k I am doing wrong.

Please help.

Regards, Ernst

Options
8 Reply
Re:M4 goes offline when netwerkkable plugs in
2024-06-08 13:39:31

@ErnstSl 

Could be both Ethernet cables with problems, could be hardware issue with second port of Main Deco. You'll need to run few more tests to narrow the issue.

You run Deco mesh in AP mode, so here is the test I suggest:

1. Find short Ethernet cable.

2. Power off and unplug Main Deco from the cable with which it is connected to the ISP Router.

3. Bring Main Deco closer to ISP Router if necessary, connect new short Ethernet cable from  Step 1 to free port of ISP Router and to Main Deco.

4. Power on Main Deco. If it is online and healthy, this is good Ethernet cable.

5. Take one of Satellite Deco, bring it to where Main Deco used to be, connect it to Ethernet cable Main Deco used to connect before that test and power on Satellite Deco. Expected result: Satellite Deco should report Ethernet backhaul.

If expected result is achieved, we can say with confidence both Ethernet cables are good as far as Deco concerned. Then, the next test:

1. Bring Main Deco to where it used to be, connect it to Ethernet cable it used to connect to, power it on, wait till it is online and healthy.

2. Unplug from ISP Router short Ethernet cable you used in first test. Connect that cable to second port of Main Deco and connect Satellite Deco to other side of that cable.

We know that this short Ethernet cable is good, you tested it with Deco, so expected result is for Satellite Deco to report Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2024-06-08 14:13:42
@Alexadre, thank you for your reply. I will give this a try tomorrow.. Just left home for a "quick" beer
Options
2024-06-08 14:25:05

@ErnstSl Deco X10 Mash connect first and Cat6 Cable to Deco M4 3pack.... See it after beta update... Wait for deco m4 stable update. 

Sayeem Ahmed
Options
2024-06-10 05:07:22

@Alexandre. 

Due to the lack of a propper networkcable (only handmade), I could not try your suggestions. Tomorrow I will collect a good one at work for trying.

Options
2024-06-22 13:53:28

@Alexandre. 

Sorry for the delay in my answer. It has been a hectic two weeks. But I have done my homework. I attached a new network cable between the master and the slave. 

this was successfully. So I installed a complete new cable. The Deco towers kept being online ever since that moment. 

up until today. I plugged in the second cable to a switch. Almost instantly the slave tower went offline. Since I learned from you what to do, I connected a new cable between the slave tower and the switch. But it keeps going offline. It drives me crazy. 

any tips?

regards, Ernst

Options
2024-06-22 14:40:04

@ErnstSl 

Sorry, I am out of ideas.

Options
2024-07-06 17:05:27

@Alexandre. 

found it. It seems that my daughter thought it was a good idea to plug in a additional cable (both ends) 😱 in the same switch. 

Took them out and all works good again. 

regards

Options
2024-07-07 14:46:58

@ErnstSl 

Thanks for coming back and telling how mystery was solved. 

Out of all probable causes that one was least expected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 401

Replies: 8

Related Articles