Malicious Network Attack

Malicious Network Attack
Malicious Network Attack
2024-05-31 19:19:54
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0

Hello.

Frustrated user here.  For the last couple months, since the install of firmware 1.3.2, Ive been receiving at various times the message "Defended against a Malicious Network Attack" anytime someone is on our laptop for more than 10 minutes.  I have wiped the laptop hardrive and BIOS, run multiple antivirus programs, and the problem persists.  I have even gone so far as to restore to factory and reset my network numerous times.  At this point I don't know if these messages are 'false positives', or if I do indeed have something like a rootkit malware installed somewhere on my computer.  Any insights would be most apprecated, thank you.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Malicious Network Attack
2024-06-02 05:47:22

@ZMan2k2 Is the problem still persisting after updating to 1.4.0 firmware?

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-06-02 14:48:53

@ImtiazAli   At first, yes.  However, after typing that, and thinking some more, I completely removed my ISP router, and just have my WAN going right into my XE75.  3 days later, it's been okay, which is the longest in a while.

Options
2024-06-04 02:16:21

@ZMan2k2 i started getting same messages a couple days ago against a wired dumb device that has never been a problem for the past couple years I have had the router and this device.

own a deco xe5300 with latest 1.3.2 firmware. It has to be a false positive.

Options
2024-06-04 02:23:24

@MacMaven234 For me, it switched from IoT devices to tablets, phones etc.  So far, my latest setup is working positively.  I swapped my ethernet cord from my ISP modem and the XE75 and put the modem into bridge mode.  So far, since I posted, it's been quiet.  

Options
2024-06-07 03:25:34

Well, that went well.  Lasted less than a week.  The indicator in the deco app has gone from tablets, laptops, phones and now my home theatre receiver.  There is no rhyme or reason to the pattern, just frustration.  I'm afraid that I'll miss an ACTUAL warning because I'm about to dismiss ALL OF THEM!   

Options
2024-06-10 01:06:30

Okay, here's where things get weird.  

Pinterest.  Specifically recipe posts.  The more I post here, the more different things I investigate.  Well, since Thursday I've had 3 such warnings, including today.  I stopped my wife, got her to show me what she was browsing, and now I can replicate it, almost every time.  Is there something that I can do, with TP Link/TrendMicro that can remedy this?

Options
2024-06-10 01:53:06

Nope, not Pinterest.  Google chrome, more specifically "Enhanced safe browsing " for chrome.  Put it on "standard " and even Pinterest doesn't set off warnings.  I'll post if anything changes.

Options
2024-06-14 22:56:26

Things changed.  I had to remove all my extensions (ie. AdBlocker), and reset Chrome to its original settings in the menu.  Close and reopen, and try for a few days, and so-far-so-good.   BTW, if you use Firefox, or in my case "try", it should stop things from setting off alarms as well.

Options
2024-07-03 14:22:13

Last post on this.  After working with my ISP, many hours of network configuration, experimentation, etc., I've finally stopped the "Malicious network attack" warning.  I took the Deco OUT of router mode and put them in Access point mode.  The router function was causing WAY TOO MANY errors and glitches, and by turning the Deco into a "dumb" AP, my problems are solved.  

Congratulations TP Link, you've made some expensive Apps and rendered your security subscription (which mine was coming up for renewal) useless.  You've ost a client in me.  I can't in good conscience pass the Deco on to anyone else for all the problems, so I've lost a lot of money.  Bravo!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 519

Replies: 9

Related Articles