Using SQM with Archer AX23

2024-05-21 16:37:43 - last edited 2024-05-22 03:54:29
Tags: #SQM
Model: Archer AX23  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all. I have a 100/8 Mbps internet and I am suffering from bufferbloat. I am planning to get a router (AX23) and install OpenWrt in order to use SQM and get rid of bufferbloat. 

I have a couple of questions. First of all, I have seen some videos on the internet about installing OpenWrt to Tp-Link devices. People just downloading firmware file and head into the router's interface and just click "Upgrade". Is this really that easy to install OpenWrt? I assume, for other brands' routers, you need a Linux OS and type a list of commands etc.

Secondly, I need to use Smart Queue Management. Does AX23 have this feature? Currently in my modem (not a very good one) I have QoS settings. But I cannot get rid of bufferbloat with any QoS settings. Yes, my speed is being limited but my latency rates are stays the same.

Lastly, is modem quality important for using router? I am not sure if I am allowed to share my modem model but I can say that I don't have a very good one. Does this affect router's performance?

Thanks for helping.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using SQM with Archer AX23
2024-05-22 06:18:57

@jannapref 

Hi, thanks for posing question here.

Archer AX23 does not support Smart Queue Management. It supports QoS.

Options
2024-05-22 09:44:57

@Marvin_S Hi. Thanks for the reply. I am sorry that AX23 doesn't have SQM feature. Do you have any other recommendations for me? I want to deal with bufferbloat.

Options
2024-05-30 10:24:52

@jannapref 

Install OpenWRT on it and add luci-app-sqm package.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer_ax23_v1

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 789

Replies: 3

Tags

SQM
Related Articles