My deco mesh has for some reason set my network location to spain

2024-05-20 11:10:58
Tags: #Country location
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.6

So for several months now our deco mesh has set our network location to Spain for some reason. We are in Sweden. After contacts with our internet-company and even google sine the commercials are in spanish. Nothing works, but today I connected my laptop directly to the box in the house to get internet directly without the deco units, and now it's in sweden!

Please, what's going on with the mesh? We are so tired of this problem. And how do we change it? I can't find anything in the app that says the location of the network

Options
24 Reply
Re:My deco mesh has for some reason set my network location to spain
2024-05-20 14:36:10 - last edited 2024-05-20 14:40:19

@phad 

You may be able to fix that by logging to Main Deco Web interface.

Open Main Deco IP address in browser on device connected to Deco mesh. If you run Deco mesh in Router mode with no changes to default LAN settings that IP address should be 192.168.68.1

The login page should appear. There is no user name to enter, just password. Enter same password you use to login to Deco app.

If login was successful, open Advanced/System/Time Settings and select correct region and city, example:

Make sure you save your selection, Save button should appear in bottom right corner of that page.

-----------

More detailed version of that can be found in TP-Link FAQ: How to log into the web-based interface of my Deco

Options
2024-05-20 14:55:25

@Alexandre. 

Hello,

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately this was already set to Europe/Stockholm when I logged in.

Options
2024-05-20 15:06:46

@phad 

OK, let's try some other things. Your Main Deco, is it connected to ISP gateway/router or to ISP modem? 

Options
2024-05-20 15:19:43

@Alexandre. 

It's connected directly into the modem

Options
2024-05-20 15:28:59

phad wrote

@Alexandre. 

It's connected directly into the modem

@phad 

But it is modem, not router, right? Can you give me its brand name and model number, just to be sure? Some ISPs mistakenly name their box "modem" while in fact it is router.

The most common ways for Internet Web site to figure your location is from your household WAN IP address and from DNS servers that are used by your ISP router or Main Deco. 

If you have ISP router, it would be possible to set Deco to piggyback on its settings, and you are saying these settings are correct - when you connect laptop "directly to the box."

Options
2024-05-20 15:40:04

@Alexandre. 

It has no brand or info on it. But it is the box that the fiber goes to, so it's no router.

Options
2024-05-20 15:44:10

@phad 

Thanks for the photo, very helpful.

This box has four Ethernet ports. One is up, that must be one to which Main Deco is connected.

Please do the test: connect laptop to one of remaining three Ethernet ports (LAN2-LAN4), do not disconnect Main Deco from LAN1 port. If laptop can connect to Internet and its port LED goes green, while LAN1 LED stays green, this box is configured as a router and I may have simple solution for you.

Options
2024-05-20 15:50:53

@Alexandre. 

Oh okey. Yes I could connect a laptop to a second port and they both stay green

Options
2024-05-20 15:56:13

@phad 

Great. Then, what you have is router and it is configured as router. If it were modem or router configured in modem mode, only one LAN port could be active.

Because it is in fact router, you can configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. In that mode, Deco mesh will piggyback on all "box" networking settings. The problem with wrong geolocation should go away, I am 99% confident.

For steps, see Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

Options
2024-05-20 17:06:48

@Alexandre. 

Did the steps and now the units just stays red...tried to cut the power and start again, no luck

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1056

Replies: 24

Tags

Country location
Related Articles