Need Advice on Choosing Between TP-Link Deco X60 and X50 Pro

2024-05-18 16:31:56

Hi everyone,

I need some help deciding between two mesh Wi-Fi systems for my home: the TP-Link Deco X60 and the TP-Link Deco X50 Pro. My home has four floors, with each floor being around 640 sqft. I'm not sure what the differences are between these two models and which one would be better suited for my needs. Here’s a bit more detail:

Usage:

• Multiple devices on each floor (smartphones, laptops, smart TVs, etc.)
  • Streaming, gaming, and video conferencing
  • I need strong and reliable Wi-Fi coverage on all floors

Considerations:

• Coverage: Ensuring strong signal strength and seamless connectivity throughout the house
  • Performance: Speed and stability for multiple high-bandwidth activities
  • Price: Want to make sure I'm getting good value for the cost

Questions:

1. What are the main differences between the Deco X60 and the X50 Pro?
  2. Which one would provide better coverage and performance for my four-floor home?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Need Advice on Choosing Between TP-Link Deco X60 and X50 Pro
2024-05-18 19:48:31 - last edited 2024-05-18 19:49:40

@jky0422 

Your selection of these two Deco models to choose from is somewhat confusing. X50 Pro has 2.5 gigabit Ethernet ports, X60 has gigabit ports. If your wired home network is gigabit, you are overpaying for feature you won't be using with X50 Pro. If your wired home network is 2.5gigabit or faster, X60 won't be the right choice.

How about figuring what Deco model will work for your from larger selection of Deco models?

If you are OK with that approach, I'll need additional information from you:

1. What is the LAN speed of your home network: gigabit, faster? 

2. What is Internet speed you are getting from ISP?

3. Which floor Internet link will be on (ISP modem/router)? That might impact decision on which Deco model to choose.

4. Do you plan to connect Deco units with Ethernet cables or they will be connecting to each other wirelessly?

5. Do you have TV (coaxial) cables going between floors?

They can be used, with proper adapters, instead of Ethernet cables to pass Ethernet traffic between floors and link Deco units over wired link.

6. Can you place Deco unit in the middle of the floor?

Meaning, there is electric outlet, place for that unit, and if there are Ethernet/TV cables - they are also there.

-----------------

If some of my questions are not clear, feel free to ask for clarifications.

-----------------

Side note: you do realize that gaming over WiFi is going to be influenced by inherently unpredictable and fluctuating latency, right? That is true for regular WiFi router and could be amplified by WiFi mesh, where traffic could go over multiple WiFi mesh nodes.

Just making sure you have realistic expectations when it comes to gaming on device connected to WiFi mesh (any brand). I am not into computer games, but my friends who are all have their gaming PCs wired.

Another side note: for place like yours I would recommend to start with one Deco node per floor. Then, add more on each floor if coverage from one unit is insufficient. Which means, you are going to start with four Deco units. Mentioning that to make sure you have budget for that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 867

Replies: 1

Related Articles