Archer AX55 EasyMesh in AP mode

2024-04-14 14:16:55 - last edited 2024-04-14 14:19:48
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone. EasyMesh in access point mode was added to the Archer AX55 late 2023. I just wanted to know if EasyMesh, specifically seamless roaming, would work if the devices were connected using an ethernet backhaul in a star topology in access point mode this way:

The reason I have to use this setup is that I can't run a cable from room 2 to room 3 to connect the mesh satellite to the main mesh node (AX-55) directly as the official docs published by TP-Link suggest, and it doesn't make sense to put the AX55 in room 1 because that room is located far from the other rooms where no wifi signal is needed there.

I have some questions:

• It seems several devices supports EasyMesh using an ethernet backhaul that I could use in room 2, however I'm not sure if they support EasyMesh in access point mode
  • Assuming a client that supports seamless roaming, i.e. 802.11 k/v/r, is used, would seamless roaming work in this setup when the client moves from room 3 to room 2 or the other way round?
  • Can I still manage the device in room 2 using the web console from the main node (AX-55)?

Thanks in advance

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 EasyMesh in AP mode
2024-04-14 15:05:16

@Godie 

Hi,

First point: That "EasyMesh in AP mode"-thing is only important for the "Main" router, if you want to use that router in access point mode. 
For the "Satellite" nodes it doesn't matter whether they support it or not.

Second point: That's the whole point of EasyMesh.

Third point: Depends what you mean by "manage the device in room 2 using the web console from the main node".
Certain settings are automatically being synchronized between all EasyMesh nodes when you adjust that setting for the Main node. But you cannot individually adjust settings of the Satellite node(s) via the Main node's web console. 
The web console of the Main node allows to view the firmware versions of the Satellite nodes and also allows to update the Satellite node's firmware.

As for the Ethernet backhaul connection via the ISP router. In this case the ISP router acts like a network switch. According to previous posts on this forum routing the Ethernet backhaul through a switch has worked fine for most users, however, a few users apparently had problem with such a setup.

Options
2024-04-14 16:04:22

@Godie 

Just to add that Easymesh supports only 802.11k/v protocols as per this FAQ.

If you use the beta FW on your AX55 v1, as per this post you could obtain its latest official v1.3.1. (Easymesh in AP mode supported).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-04-14 17:17:08

@woozle Thanks.

So if EasyMesh is basically to implement seamless roaming, does the setup I showed above support mesh features or is it basically a centrally managed setup to manage the 2 devices that only support seamless roaming between those devices?

Basically what I need is seamless roaming between access points connected to the ISP provided router via a network cable. I'm not sure I need "mesh" features in this setup.

Options
2024-04-14 18:20:39

@Godie 

You can read here https://www.tp-link.com/en/easymesh/ what EasyMesh does. But it is not possible to have only parts of it. It's either EasyMesh=ON or EasyMesh=OFF.

Options
2024-05-07 08:31:48

@Godie In the setup you described, does it support mesh features for seamless roaming between access points connected to the ISP-provided router via a network cable, or is it primarily a centrally managed setup to facilitate seamless roaming between only the two devices involved?

Options
2024-05-07 13:38:35

@madera2 Hi, basically what I want is to have two TP-Link routers connected to the ISP provided router via network cable, both working in access point node and be able to do fast/seamless roaming between the two TP-Link routers. It seems that in order to enable fast/seamless roaming it requires a centrally managed setup with EasyMesh. According to what @woozle said above this should be possible but certain users have reported problems using this setup.

Options
2024-05-07 18:16:23 - last edited 2024-05-07 18:17:31

IMHO this Easymesh configuration should work either via etherneth backhaul through the ISP router (acting as a switch for both AX55s) or it will fall back to a wireless backhaul between AX55s.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1580

Replies: 7

Related Articles