conectivity between Deco and main Router networks using Deco as Wifi Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-30 08:24:45 - last edited 2024-03-30 08:26:20
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

Hi

i just bought a Deco for my home Wi-Fi network. One of main reasons is to have a Wi-Fi just for IoT.

I have successfully enabled a Wi-Fi and connect some devices.

I want to used Deco as router, as i want to configure static IPs there, and do not use my main router. i know changing o wifi access tis is solved, but i lost some functionality that Deco has on Router mode

the problem is that my Home Assistant server is connected to my main router with cable, and i want to keep like this (home design restrictions)

my home assistant is on 192.168.1.XXX range, and my IoT devices are on 192.168.68.xx range.

but my Home assistant server can not see Deco IPs...

do you know why? can I configure my deco to allow both network ranges to see each other? 

Thanks in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:conectivity between Deco and main Router networks using Deco as Wifi Router
2024-03-30 12:02:45

@l0bit0 

You will need to relax your requirements:

1. Run Deco mesh in Access Point mode;

or

2. Run Deco mesh in Router mode and treat Main Deco as your router (as you should), connect Home Assistant Server to Main Deco LAN port (buy switch if Main Deco LAN port is already taken). You can also connect Home Assistant Server to any Ethernet port of any Satellite Deco. If you can't move Main Deco, you may be able to move Satellite Deco close to Home Assistant Server.

Options
2024-03-31 19:50:56

@Alexandre. Thanks, I suppose I did not had too much options....

anyway I assume should've be more easy as at the end both routers ar physically connected...

anything can be done wit port forwarding or any other router option?

thanks

Options
2024-03-31 20:57:50

@l0bit0 

Port forwarding is pain in the neck on a good day, but in your case it is unlikely to work. Port forwarding maps port to a single internal address. If your HomeServer needs to talk on the same port to multiple devices connected to Deco mesh, you can't do port forwarding. 

In theory, if every device on Deco mesh to which HomeServer needs to talk listens on different port and each configured with reserved IP in Deco, you could create port forwarding rules for all of them. 

This is all not easy because for Main Deco everything which is outside is Internet. It considers your router to which Main Deco is connected an Internet. You would not want a random device from the Internet have unrestricted access to your home network. Nobody would, so bypassing basic firewall protection often is pain in the neck. It is by design.

Bring Satellite Deco to where HomeServer is and wire HomeServer to Satellite Deco. Do that just to test it works. If it does, either keep Satellite Deco there or buy single X20 and add to your Deco mesh to support HomeServer link. 

Also consider other options where HomeServer can be connected to Deco mesh. Having everything under same router is always better and could save you from much of aggravation in the future.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 282

Replies: 3

Related Articles