Guide on mesh units

Guide on mesh units

15 Reply
Re:Guide on mesh units
2024-05-18 12:21:05

@Alexandre. hmm.. would there be any real life difference between using an m4 or m5 for each room

Options
2024-05-18 13:42:17

NetStream wrote

@Alexandre. hmm.. would there be any real life difference between using an m4 or m5 for each room

@NetStream 

M5 may have more features, but might deliver slower WiFi speeds than M4. 

M4 should be a bit faster than M5, but depending which hardware version it comes with the firmware running on top of that hardware could provide you with less features than M5.

This is the problem with TP-Link support for Deco mesh: there is no consistent feature set between different Deco modes, and even withing same Deco model different units could have different feature set. This is the case for M4.

Options
2024-05-18 16:27:13

@Alexandre. do you think this is normal.. I just got my x20 and set it up at the living room spot and it's giving 3-4 bars wifi signal in all parts of the house.

Options
2024-05-18 19:29:40 - last edited 2024-05-18 19:30:05

@NetStream 

Nothing wrong with that. Your house must have WiFi signal friendly walls.

3-4 bars is one thing, but also run speed tests in different places of your flat where WiFi speeds matter. If you are getting decent speeds everywhere, you might not need additional Deco units.

Still, you may find that there is a place where you want exceptionally good WiFi signal, Master Bedroom for example, then you can place Ethernet wired Satellite Deco in it. It is the beauty of WiFi mesh: you find places where WiFi coverage is lacking and add Satellites to improve coverage. As many as you need, and seamlessly.

If you only need to add one more Deco, I will strongly recommend same model as you have now for Main Deco, which is X20. 

Options
2024-06-12 22:08:01 - last edited 2024-06-13 15:57:00

@Alexandre. 

Alexandre. wrote

@NetStream 

Ethernet backhaul - it is good that I asked. It changes a lot and makes it much easier. 

With WiFi mesh having its units hardwired, choose less powerful (less expensive) hardware and place it in every room. You have the right layout of Deco nodes, and you have the right choice of WiFi 6 capable model. 

Just couple recommendations:

1. For WiFi mesh I strongly recommend consistent Deco hardware which all supports the same WiFi protocols. Because of that, you should have all Deco units from X-series. They don't all have to be X20s, but they should all be from X-series (and not XE-, for example X60, X75 is OK, XE75 is not).

2. X20 is the budget model at an entry price, and it is the right one for your situation. In some regions, TP-Link started to offer even more budget-friendly X10. If they are available in your region (check on Amazon or at TP-Link), you can consider them instead.

3. Another model I would have suggested is Deco X50 or X55. These are mid-range models by performance and price, but check them on Amazon. You might find that X50 or X55 is on sale and actually costs less than equivalent set of X20s. I had this situation once, you never know with Amazon. Check X50 and X55 prices separately. If they are going for the same or very close to X20 price, choose X50 or X55 - same price, better hardware, why not? If price difference is as it should be between budget and mid-range model, X20 will be just fine. The TP-Link app has been a lifesaver for managing our home network, especially with all the smart devices we have. However, sometimes the signal strength is not what I expected, even after changing the router's position. While researching network optimization tips, I found a great resource that also helped me with some unrelated tasks. Visit several services https://google.com/ to get professional writing help. It may not fix your Wi-Fi, but it can take the burden of paperwork and assignments off your shoulders, giving you more time to set up your network. Keep fiddling with these settings and you'll get there!

4. Some Deco models are not sold by TP-Link in single units, only in 2- and 3-unit sets. It means, plan in advance how many you would need. Your floor map shows four Deco units, you may need to buy two 2-unit sets. 

5. From the other hand, if you place Master Bedroom Deco unit at the middle of the wall between it and Kids Bedroom, that might be enough to provide coverage for kids room. Then, you are going to save on one Deco unit and will only need 3. Yet, if that does not work, you'll be on the look for add-on unit. 

If you want to take that risk and start with three, but later found you need one more Deco unit, for an add-on unit I would recommend same Deco model you have everywhere else, but if it is not sold in single units - then Deco X50-PoE, which is.

6. Finally, and this I tell to everyone who buys networking gear: get it from the place with simple and long enough return policy. What works for others might not work for you. 2-4 weeks return policy should be enough to figure if Deco mesh you've bought meets your expectations.

Thanks for help!

Options
Related Articles