Votes

WPA3 on the Deco M5 and other mesh models

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-25 14:20:17 - last edited 2024-01-25 14:21:55
Tags: #WPA3
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

I adopted the Deco M5 to setup Wifi in my home and i was very happy when i saw that it was going to adopt WPA 3.

Here is the comment back in 2020:Support WPA3 for all Deco mesh devices - Home Network Community (tp-link.com)
Is there any ETA for WPA3 in the Decos ?
Is is still in the plans?

The linked thread (which is locked) asked customers to be patient that it was in the works.

My concern about security is that i already got "Unknown devices" connecting to my network even tho i am Using WPA2-PSK AES and i am not sure if at the time, it was an attack or someone managed to get my wifi password.

Fact it happen again last year and i was forced to change my network including the SSID to something else and i am running with no issues for over 2 months. I even setup arpwatch in my main router to send me emails when a new device is detected.
I am even considering switching to wifi 7 devices and ditch the decos if i dont feel secure on them,

Options
2 Reply
Re:WPA3 on the Deco M5 and other mesh models
2024-01-26 10:11:39

@Mauricio_Moura 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

The latest news I have got is that there hasn't been a plan to support WPA3 on Deco AC models, like Deco M4, M5, and Deco M9 Plus.

The "unknown" devices are more related to the "Private Address" of the clients. I have seen similar feedback on WPA3-supported models.

And Deco APP also supports "Connection Alerts" for new devices.

Take Deco X50_V1 for example, firmware 1.3.1 and above support WiFi Access Control/MAC Address Filtering which only allows the preset MAC addresses to connect to WiFi. This feature will gradually be added to different Deco models.

Understand the Differences Among Deco Firmware Platforms

Best regards.

Options
RE:WPA3 on the Deco M5 and other mesh models
2024-01-28 14:38:13 - last edited 2024-01-28 14:38:54

Although I very much want this to happen, the chance of it happening is next to zero.

There's no liability from tp-link to add WPA3 on pre-2020 devices aka "Wi-Fi 5" devices.

The arrival of Wi-Fi 6E & Wi-Fi 7 devices didn't help either

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 794

Replies: 2

Voters 2

Tags

WPA3