M4 Setup driving me nuts - please assist

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-23 19:26:48 - last edited 2024-01-23 19:46:39
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

Hi,

I purchased a 3-pack of M4s from amazon.de (Germany). For the last couple of weeks I had massive problems with all different kind of devices (Amazon echo dots, Fire TVs, mobile phones, Xbox consoles,smart bulbs etc.) like high pings, connections problems and complete WiFi fails until the M4s were rebooted.

After having the option to schedule a daily (!) reboot the situation got a little bit better, but since using firmware version 1.1.1 got installed via the Deco App the symptoms got worse - again :(

For example multiroom music via two Echo Dots was nearly impossible to do. I am rather familiar with networks etc, tried to disable mesh technology on most of the devices, tried to read and understand the various errors in the logs of the three M4, fooled around with the "IGMP" setting in the WBM of the main M4, forced clints to connect to specific Mesh nodes, tried to reposition the M4 - nothing helped.

Running out of options i decided to downgrade the firmware to 1.1.0 today.

The stability of my connections seems to have improved significantly, the Echo Dot Multiroom group is playing for 2 hours continuously - i have not experienced this for weeks (Insert happy smiley here).

Is there some kind of beta firmware available to further track down possible issues in my setup?

I don't want to get rid of the M4..

Setup:

ISP Router <->(Ethernet)<->Switch <->(Ethernet)-> M4 (Main) <-> (WiFi Backhaul) <-> M4 <-> (WiFi Backhaul) <-> M4

Best regards,

Phil

*Edit: fixed some typing errors

Options
3 Reply
Re:M4 Setup driving me nuts - please assist
2024-01-24 07:52:54

@philk87 

Hi, have you tried to set Deco M4 into access point mode under Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation Mode?

Are you able to connect other satellite Deco M4 units via Ethernet cables to the network switch?

I see you mainly mentioned the wireless devices. Have you checked whether the cable-connected clients had the same issue?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-24 08:11:19

@David-TP 

Hi,

thank you for answering my post.

The main M4 is running in AP Mode since the beginning (DHCP is done by the main router - Telekom Speedport Smart 3).

I have no devices directly connected to the wireless M4 mesh bases and unfortunately it is not possible to connect them via ethernet backhaul..

Options
2024-01-31 22:31:16 - last edited 2024-01-31 22:42:09

@philk87 

I'd guess that there is no further interest from tp-link to analyse my described problem or to provide some sort of help.

I installed many Deco devices over the last month's (family, friends, colleagues) and will stop suggesting to buy WiFi products from tp-link after many years of doing so.

I was out of options and had an idea: I changed the network port on the main deco and replaced the original network cable that came with the devices. The connection stability has improved now but I'm thinking of throwing these devices out of my private network installation.

After following this forum for months i understand now that unsolved and mysterious problems with these devices, missing standard features, the lack of configurable options (WiFi channels !) and chaotic firmware releases for the same devices with different HW-versions is something that is bothering not only me.

*Insert sad face here*

@David-TP 

: please don't take this personal, thank you nonetheless for taking some time to answer to this thread.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 348

Replies: 3

Related Articles