Deco X60 - New device notification for devices not owned by us

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-08 18:51:12
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We just setup our X60 network, and things have been normal until yesterday. All of a sudden I began to see notifications for devices joining the network that did not belong to us.

The password itself is quite strong, and is unique to this device. Also the Guest Network is not turned on.

Is this possibly just devices attempting to open the closest wifi, but are unsuccessful?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco X60 - New device notification for devices not owned by us
2023-12-20 19:24:48
If they are 'Unknown Device" or similar, it's likely an iPhone or Android device with network privacy switched on. Otherwise, you'll need to give a bit more detail about the devices connecting
Options
2023-12-20 20:11:38

@richpriest 

That is the thing, these are named devices with the 'Other' icon and MAC Addresses. They do not appear to have ever logged in again. What is weird is that one of the devices when searched with Google pulls up a link to a MAC Address web search page.

Are there any more extensive logs available to see if they successfully received an IP address? Since that day I have not seen any more weird items joining the network. Every new item has been accounted for as something new in the house being setup, and I relabel them as they pop up in the list.

Options
2023-12-20 20:17:59 - last edited 2023-12-20 20:18:21

@crombinator there are logs in the admin area webpage on the deco.

Browse to your main Deco's IP in a web browser (log in with your TPLink password)

Go to Advanced -> System -> System Log

Options
2023-12-20 20:51:29
Darn, the logs appear to only be for today. I will have to keep a close watch to see if this happens again, but as for now I just blocked those MAC addresses.
Options
2023-12-20 22:13:06 - last edited 2023-12-20 22:18:38

@crombinator 

You will only see device in Deco app, Online or Offline, if that device successfully authenticated with your WiFi network. 

Which means, these were connected to your Deco mesh..

Deco X60 does not have whitelist feature, but some other Deco models do. If you have serious concerns about unknown devices connecting to your Deco mesh and can still return X60s, I can recommend you different Deco model with whitelist capability.

I checked firmware versions for X60, the last was released in 2021, which makes it unlikely X60 will be getting whitelist feature. This feature is recent addition.

Options
2023-12-20 22:21:56

@Alexandre. Then that had to have been some kind of a bug because I had just setup a new wifi password, and our house is set back about 40 feet from the road. If they had come close enough to somehow be able to sniff/hack the password my Ring would have notified because there is only one way into our house without climbing a bunch of cliffs.

Which is concerning if there is a bug or security issue that would allow this to happen.

Options
2023-12-20 22:34:02 - last edited 2023-12-20 22:40:16

@crombinator 

It is unlikely that bug of such gravity would have went unnoticed for 2 years since last firmware was released for X60.

You should google "What is MAC address randomization"

Options
2023-12-20 22:44:14

@Alexandre. Sorry, what you are telling me is that a brand new setup allowed non-authorized users to gain access with a new password and only on that day as since then no devices that I do not recognize have connected.

How is that not a bug?

Either the Deco incorrectly recorded devices that didn't connect, or it allowed devices to connect that had no way to authorize whether their MAC address was randomized, or not.

Options
2023-12-21 00:46:44

crombinator wrote

@Alexandre. Sorry, what you are telling me is that a brand new setup allowed non-authorized users to gain access with a new password and only on that day as since then no devices that I do not recognize have connected.

@crombinator 

I am telling you exactly the opposite: only devices that you configured with Deco mesh SSID/password were allowed to connect to Deco WiFi and appeared in Deco app. 

Options
2023-12-21 01:41:59

@Alexandre. Yeah, that didn't happen. More likely just another messed up cloud bug where I received notification not meant for my device. There is nothing in my network randomizing its MAC. Since it hasn't happened in 20 days I will just continue to keep watch, and pull logs when necessary. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 747

Replies: 10

Related Articles