Your current settings will be lost after upgrading to this version. Why?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-14 03:49:41
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163(5553)

Upgrade: 1.3.1 Build 20230731 rel.41032

I have never had this message from a router upgrade before.  Are you seriously suggesting every home user write their settings down before doing an upgrade?

Is there any way to avoid this?  Will it happen at every upgrade?  Should I just avoid TP-Link in future?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Your current settings will be lost after upgrading to this version. Why?
2023-09-14 06:37:36 - last edited 2023-09-14 06:40:47

@Moilleadoir 

You can try using a different upgrade path for example: 1.2.4 => 1.3.0 => 1.3.1 and check if this message will appear again.

A lot of new features/enhancements were introduced in 1.3.0 and probably that's the reason for the message:

New Features/Enhancement:
1. Added VPN client;
2. Added switch for the Qos feature;
3. Added IPTV settings in the Tether APP;
4. Optimized Online Client List feature;
5. Optimized the link aggregation feature;
6. Optimized the wireless schedule feature;
7. Improved the stability of the system;
8. Improved the web management UI.

This happens in rare cases when a major updates in the FW were made.

You can make a configuration backup before the FW upgrade, but it's not always possible to restore from the backup in these cases.

That's why it's a good idea to write down your current settings (in notepad for example), just in case.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-05 15:51:49

@terziyski Do we know if we can restore a config backup from an older version (1.24) to 1.32? Looking to upgrade but have a million config settings I would need to re-add

Options
2024-01-06 17:30:46

@HorseCollar 

I wouldn't know that - you can try it yourself. But as I posted before:

"That's why it's a good idea to write down your current settings (in notepad for example), just in case."

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-07 10:37:05

The saved config file should still work ok, the wiping is to fresh start the router, there maybe new options added as well so it's worth running through the router settings afterwards so you don't miss anything. Just set the clean booted router to a 12345a password then reload your saved config file for an easy way back but check the 12345a hasn't become the new password overriding the config file as iirc this can happen & you won't be aware of it until you try to login to the router again and it rejects your expected random password, if this happens just use the set up 12345a one again to login this time then go into the admin settings for the router & change the password to the one the config file holds.

Options