Deco P9 poor performance/no updates

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-07 06:03:52
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057

Got these and hated going to app, but knew most mesh option used one. Web UI is available but not really complete in terms of features/management. Reported a number of bugs and watched to see if any updates. And now couple years later there are clearly no updates forthcoming. Now I am finding my wired and wireless speed choked. I changed cable plans to a faster one, upgraded modem and tested speed with a laptop at the modem got ~950M of a 1.2G plan, close enough, but I plug in the router, and connected devices are only getting ~225M severely choked and basically what I was getting before. I think it was the choke point even with the slower service/modem. Cycled devices still the same. 

I check here and find similar issue reported all the way back to 2020 under thread "Deco P9 set as main has 100% CPU load Vs. a Deco P7 that only use 20%" but that one is now locked with no answer addressing the issue. From what I can tell the device is the limit. Shouldn't be limiting that low based on the hardware, so must be a bug, but find it doubtful TP link is going to address given the previous thread.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 poor performance/no updates
2023-09-08 09:53:17

@javajam 

Hi, Did you update the internet bandwidth recently?

I see your current bandwidth is 1.2G, Deco P9 with wireless spec 5 GHz: 867 Mbps (802.11ac)/2.4 GHz: 300 Mbps (802.11n) is not sufficient to handle such a higher bandwidth.

Its expected wireless speed from the main Deco would be 350-600m/s over 5GHz. To fully make use off the 1.2G bandwidth, a Wi-Fi 6 Deco would be great, like Deco X55/50, even Deco X55/50 Pro with 2.5G Ethernet Ports.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/?filterby=6271%7C6093%7C5730

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-08 12:12:54 - last edited 2023-09-08 12:14:36

@David-TP 

Yes, I know the wireless won't push that much, but is hitting same speeds on the wired devices as well. Also is choked down to ~250G which even the wireless should be able to exceed.

Options
2023-09-08 12:21:02

@javajam 

Please check whether OQS has been limited to 250m/s.

Have you tried to switch to a different Deco P9 as the main Deco?

It is also suggested to install the beta firmware here to see whether it helped. And factory reset also is worth a try if you haven't done yet.

Improve Powerline Backhaul on Deco P9

Also, please make sure you have excluded the Ethernet cables.

Options
2023-09-08 14:36:09
Can confirm Ethernet cable not the issue cable going from modem to main deco is the same one I tested speed directly to a laptop with and got ~950M. I did find the QOS was limiting (set at 240M, down, 10 up) adjusted that and did see some improvement will exceed 300-400 now some times, and upload hitting around 40 so that was a good find. It seems like right after adjusting/applying the QOS settings it is significantly improved then settles back in around 240-250 (so up slightly). I am thinking it is a QOS issue, can't see a way to disable in UI or app though. Also got the firmware updated, but that did not seem to make a difference. These are P9, but I have the main unit plugged into a powerstrip to disable the PL backhaul as it was initially causing issues. I may retest that feature with this fireware, but it did not help the issue at hand.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 555

Replies: 4

Related Articles