Mesh with Archer C80 in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-31 07:12:41
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am looking to expand my network, as the range is a bit to low for all my Tapo cameras and plugs. 

I currently have a Archer C80 in AP mode to distribute Wifi in one end of my house.

And an Archer A5 AC1200 in AP mode in my office, currently distributing Wifi with another SSID than the first one, and also as a switch for my computer.

However as the A5 does not have gigabit switching, and restrains my speed to 100 Mbit's, i am looking to replace it for a switch or router with gigabit ports.

Both routers is connected with ethernet cable to the same router from my ISP that is placed right next to my C80

I as wondering, is it better to get another C80, and is it possible to mesh both C80's in AP mode, connected via ethernet cable?

Does the first C80 need to be set up in router mode? And how to avoid IP conflicts, as my ISP router is currently distributing IP addresses.

Or is it better to install a simple gigabit switch in the office, and replace the A5 with a range extender/AP with ethernet connected

Options
1 Reply
Re:Mesh with Archer C80 in AP mode
2023-08-31 14:11:44 - last edited 2023-09-01 19:29:52

@MortenB 

I would recommend to replace the A5 with a C80 or C64 (both gigabit routers supporting EasyMesh ethernet backhaul).

EasyMesh support in AP mode is planned and eventually will be implemented through a FW update.

For now you could just put the new C80/C64 in A5 place and set it in a regular AP mode (Case 1).

There's another option though, if you want to build an EasyMesh - configure C80 in AP mode (Case 2).

Thus C80 will be still in router mode (with EasyMesh active), but will behave as an AP.

Then connect the new router in the office to the C80 as an EasyMesh satelite.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 582

Replies: 1

Related Articles