Deco X50 5G Strict NAT on Xbox Series X despite correctly forwarding all ports, what now?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X50 5G Strict NAT on Xbox Series X despite correctly forwarding all ports, what now?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-15 09:22:51
Tags: #Ports
Model: Deco X50-5G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20230523 Rel. 60824

Hi, I'm having a brand new Deck X50 5G and I'm trying to open the ports on my Xbox Series X, but I'm unable to do so.

I've done everything I should have to do but it still says strict. What am I doing wrong?

I entered all the correct ports, all the correct UDP or TCP and chose the console in every port rule and it's still not working.

Anyone with any idea?

I restarted the X50 and my console several times already by the way.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco X50 5G Strict NAT on Xbox Series X despite correctly forwarding all ports, what now?
2023-08-15 17:05:23

@Edge_Sangral 

Is your X50 connected to an ISP router for internet connection?    If so you have what is known as a double NAT scenario

You would therefore need to log into the ISP router and forward the same ports from the ISP router (say 192.168.1.1) to the Deco Main router (192.168.68.1)

Once forwarded to the main deco router, it will then forward again to your device.

Options
Re:Deco X50 5G Strict NAT on Xbox Series X despite correctly forwarding all ports, what now?
2023-08-15 18:33:05

@Philbert 

No I'm using Internet directly from the X50 5G, nothing in between, this works as our router currently.

So in theory it should simply work then?

Options
2023-08-16 03:46:07

@Edge_Sangral 

Hi, I think you could check whether your SIM carrier uses CG-NAT networks which is often used for mitigating IPv4 address exhaustion.

CG-NAT Blocks my OpenVPN and restricks the NAT type

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
2023-08-18 18:09:59

@David-TP 

It seems that my carrier, Vodafone, is using that for mobile cards, yes.

So what are my options here now?

Options
2023-08-19 22:28:42

@Edge_Sangral 

Unfortunately as its with your carrier, namely vodafone its likely out of your hands.   You could approach them asking for help with this, but its really not something you can change yourself. 

I would contact them as your first point of call

Options
2023-08-20 00:57:56

Edge_Sangral wrote

@David-TP 

You might try using a VPN client, perhaps use the new firmware available with this.

You would need to subscribe to a VPN service provider, one that allows port forwarding, PureVPN, Ivacy ...

I'm trying to do the same for uTorrent myself as my ISP also uses CG-NAT but I keep seeing VPN drops, don't know why.

Options
2023-08-20 01:02:12

raven-au wrote

Edge_Sangral wrote

@David-TP 

You might try using a VPN client, perhaps use the new firmware available with this.

You would need to subscribe to a VPN service provider, one that allows port forwarding, PureVPN, Ivacy ...

I'm trying to do the same for uTorrent myself as my ISP also uses CG-NAT but I keep seeing VPN drops, don't know why.

Actually  I have had difficulty when trying to port forward using a router based client VPN, I don't know if there are any VPN client apps, you might be stuck, ;(

Options
2023-08-21 00:45:10 - last edited 2023-08-21 11:03:04

@Edge_Sangral another possibility you might consider is to check if you can pay a fee for a static IP or whatever they may call it.

My ISP changed to using CG-NAT and after investigation I found I could pay $5 a month for an IP (I think it's called a static IP) that isn't subject to the CG-NAT.

Then you could just leave it to UPNP to forward the ports needed.

I thought using a VPN would be better because it adds some privacy benefits but it's not the only way to resolve this.

Options
2023-08-28 07:36:06

@Edge_Sangral we are probably quite many in the same situation.

My ISP also uses CGNAT for IPv4 addressing but also provide proper (public) IPv6 addresses, maybe your ISP does that too?

Thought IPv6 would save the situation until I noticed that TP-Link doesn't (yet) support IPv6 port forwarding on the X50-5G in "4G/5G Router" mode. (apparently it is supported in regular AP mode but that really doesn't help much for someone buying a mobile broadband router and using it for that specific purpose...)
Anyway, I have added a feature request for this here
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/616750

and it would be good if more people in the same situation could bring attention to the problem and provide their vote so that TP-Link firmware team adds this to their roadmap.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3248

Replies: 9

Tags

Ports
Related Articles