M9 Plus - Only medium signal strengt available

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 08:21:58 - last edited 2023-08-10 07:16:41
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.61

Hi all

I have a M9 Plus setup with 3 devices which is running stable for 2-3 years.

One of my devices has signal strength Medium (read through the Deco App interface), and the other two have signal strength Strong. Please note, it has always been like that.

Anyone have an idea why I only get Medium ?

Best Regards Frank

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:M9 Plus - Only medium signal strengt available-Solution
2023-08-03 14:23:39 - last edited 2023-08-10 07:16:41

@FrankVincens_10 

You said "My 3 Deco's are wired with ethernet cables," but according to screenshot you provided Satellite Deco do not use Ethernet. They use WiFi backhaul instead. When Satellite Deco can use Ethernet backhaul, the symbol will be different. Example from my Deco mesh:

When Satellite Deco can't use Ethernet link, it will switch to WiFi link, even when wired with Ethernet cables.

I recommend you start with the following FAQ document which may give you ideas on how to rewire or reconfigure Deco mesh so that Satellites can start using Ethernet backhaul: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

If you'll have follow up questions, feel free to ask.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:M9 Plus - Only medium signal strengt available
2023-08-02 06:47:18

@FrankVincens_10 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you experienced any issues when the satellite Deco has a medium signal source?

You could consider it as the Mesh Backhaul signal strength between this satellite Deco to its sourced Deco.

The distance and barriers in between will have an influence on the signal strength.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-02 07:47:19

@David-TP 

Thank you for a snap response, and good to get a better understanding for the metric signal strength. By the way, see attached screenshot, which shows the medium signal strength (see my red marking). My 3 Deco's are wired with ethernet cables, which goes through the same network switch, which is connected to my internet router.

Is the Mesh Backhaul between satellite Deco to its sourced Deco using the ethernet cables or a native wireless connection?

You ask if I experience issues with the satellite Deco which has a medium signal source. Yes, I don't experience the same stability in the area where this Deco is located. This is the area where I'm sitting, when working remote 1-2 days a week. Note, that I have started working remote during 2023, before that I only had 2 Deco's set up.

Hoping to get a more stable connection for my working PC (Deco client), I yesterday configurate, in the QoS section of the App, to always have high priority for this client.

Any ideas for things to check in my setup and improve I can configurate?

Best ragards

Frank

Options
Re:M9 Plus - Only medium signal strengt available-Solution
2023-08-03 14:23:39 - last edited 2023-08-10 07:16:41

@FrankVincens_10 

You said "My 3 Deco's are wired with ethernet cables," but according to screenshot you provided Satellite Deco do not use Ethernet. They use WiFi backhaul instead. When Satellite Deco can use Ethernet backhaul, the symbol will be different. Example from my Deco mesh:

When Satellite Deco can't use Ethernet link, it will switch to WiFi link, even when wired with Ethernet cables.

I recommend you start with the following FAQ document which may give you ideas on how to rewire or reconfigure Deco mesh so that Satellites can start using Ethernet backhaul: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

If you'll have follow up questions, feel free to ask.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-10 07:17:27
Thanks, I have now reconfigered, and it works perfect.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1864

Replies: 4

Related Articles