Channel selection on Decos

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-25 06:26:15
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.4 Build 20220216 Rel. 41671

Kia ora

Can anyone give me some advice regarding the WiFi frequencies being used in my house please?  The scan below is from Ubiquiti WiFiman.  It shows four devices using the 5GHz band.  The purple ones are my two Deco x20 units.  The Decos are connected to a central swich using CAT5e cable.

My questions:

• is there any reason to care?
  • why are the Decos selecting channels that conflict with another device (the green OpuEth) rather than using the empty spectrum between about 50 and 140?
  • can I change this behavior for my devices?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve

Output fro WiFiman site scan

Options
6 Reply
Re:Channel selection on Decos
2023-06-25 10:21:50

@SteveCos 

Hey Steve

If you go to the Deco app and run the network optimiser it will re-scan the airspace and look for a new channel to run on, is that what you hoping to achieve?

In answer to your actual question about should you care... personally I wouldnt care too much if honest.    The signal strengh coming from the OptEth is so weak its going to cause no interference to your near perfect signal.

For the record, in terms or signal strenghs below is a the usual accepted range.  In short anything over -65db can be ignored

-30db is PERFECT

-40db is excellent

-50 good

-60 average / acceptable

-70 dying now

-80 dead

Options
2023-06-25 10:35:28

@Philbert Thanks for your reply.  I've been teaching data networking for about thirty years (it was a different subject in the '90s!).  While I know the technical attributes of wireless in in it's many forms, I value someone with experience in the field.  I'll go look for the optimiser button!

Options
2023-06-25 15:24:52

@SteveCos Decos select channels based on availability & region. Not all bands are allowed in every countries.

And no, there's no option to "change" this

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2023-06-25 17:53:07

@SteveCos 

No worries, hopefully does as said on the tin!

Options
2023-07-01 13:21:07

@SteveCos 

Good luck. The network optimizer does nothing. It's literally a placebo. My Decos have been stuck on the same channel since I got them and cause so much interference with my wireless audio that I have to run Deco on the 2.5ghz band. There is no way to change the channel and any talk of the router "picking the best channel" is a lie.

Remember this post, because it'll be gone in a few days. 

Options
2023-07-02 01:02:36

@SteveCos 

Thanks for your thoughts @Mawaukee That is how I feel about consumer WiFi in general.  This case is only a first-world problem for me - I can control OPuEth (a Mikrotik P to P), but as @Philbert said, there is probably not any great advantage in doing it.

It also appears that the x20 doesn't have the 'network optimizer' nor one or two other functions available from the app.

In summary, like most other networking devices, is cheaper than an enterprise device but is not as well supported and nowhere near as usable.  Yes, @Philbert, it does do what it says on the tin!

As we say in New Zealand - Ngā mihi everyone!   Steve

Enjoy whatever live sends to you outside this particular echo chamber Mawaukee!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 549

Replies: 6

Related Articles