Need to confirm version of X55 and X20 models to install the correct firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-02 16:07:04
Tags: #Firmware Update #Hardware Version
Model: Deco X55   Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20221103 Rel. 43293

So that I can utilize some of the advanced features of my Deco X55 and older Deco X20 models, I need to update to the latest firmware.  But first I need to know the hardware version to ensure that I am downloading the correct firmware from the TP-Link site.  The link "How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device" did not help me because the label on the bottom of my X55 does not specifically mention a version.  It does have US/1.26 on the upper right hand corner of the S/N barcode, which led me to believe that it is version 1.26.  Because there are three firmware versions of the X55 model (1, 1.26, and 1.60), this seems accurate.  Then I went to download the firmware for my X20 model, which also has the same US/1.26 in the upper right hand corner of the S/N barcode.  But the only firmware versions available for that model are 1, 1.20, 2, 2.6, 3, 3.6, 4, and 4.6.  So before I proceed to flash my X55 with the version 1.26 firmware, could someone from TP-Link please assist me in confirming the version number for both of my units?

Also, I compared the downloads for the instructions and firmware for each of the the Deco X55 versions to see if I could figure this out on my own, but that just confused me even more.  It appears that you might have the incorrect files uploaded to the versions.  For instance, version 1 and 1.60 both have the same 1.26 user guide, but version 1.26 does not have this file at all.  The zipped firmware for version 1 is labeled Deco_X55_V1_1.2.5_20230511, which is identical to the one in version 1.60.  That is understandable if that is the same firmware, but it might be less confusing to users if you label it as V1.6.  The inconsistencies in the pdf documentation that has been uploaded to each version does not instill much confidence in me selecting the correct firmware that does not brick my routers.

Deco X55
Hardware version? US/1.26
Firmware version: 1.0.1 Build 20221103 Rel. 43293

Deco X20
Hardware version? US/1.26
Firmware version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50738

Ultimately, what I am attempting to do is allow some of the units to connect to units other than the main one, instead of having them all connect to the main one, as it is set up by default.  My residence has concrete walls that do not allow Wi-Fi signals to pass through, requiring me to connect a "trail" of mesh router nodes from the internet/router entry point and extend throughout my place.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Need to confirm version of X55 and X20 models to install the correct firmware
2023-06-04 16:29:13

@dwiemann From the "download center" page: "Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)"

Also, you can find out the hardware version through the web UI

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
Re:Need to confirm version of X55 and X20 models to install the correct firmware
2023-06-04 20:57:18

@ImtiazAli Yes, I saw that already and it did not help.  Actually, that example does not make it very clear.  Also, the web UI was pasted above but did not specify which hardware version it is.

From the photos that I have posted, are you able to confirm which hardware version I have?

Thank you

To Upgrade

IMPORTANT: To prevent upgrade failures, please read the following before proceeding with the upgrade process

• Please upgrade firmware from the local TP-Link official website of the purchase location for your TP-Link device, otherwise it will be against the warranty. Please click here to change site if necessary.
  • Please verify the hardware version of your device for the firmware version. Wrong firmware upgrade may damage your device and void the warranty. (Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)
    How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device
  • Do NOT turn off the power during the upgrade process, as it may cause permanent damage to the product.
Options
2023-06-04 21:17:11

@ImtiazAli The screenshot that I pasted above was from my phone so I also logged on with my computer by accessing the website http://tplinkdeco.net.  After going to the System, then Firmware Upgrade menu, it displayed all Deco devices and the model numbers X20(1.20) and X55(1.2).  It does not mention if the numbers inside the parenthesis are the hardware version, but if so, X20 could be version 1.20.  But that cannot be the case for X55 because there is no version 1.2.  It just is not clear.  Please see the attached photos.

Options
2023-06-05 08:51:13 - last edited 2023-06-05 09:01:53

@dwiemann 

Hi, there is a similar question here:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/610872?replyId=1213914

x.6 or x.8 is to identify where the products were manufactured. Basically, you could think V1.20/1.26/1.28 are both V1.2. 

The products sold to different countries might come from different regions. So you might see V1.26 on the US site, then V1.28 on another official site. While on the EN sites, they are mainly 1.2 regardless of the countries. Sometimes, there would be separate firmware downloading pages for V1.2 or V1.26, but the firmware is the same on both pages.

So both your Deco X55 and X20 are V1.2 and your current firmware is also the latest.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-06-05 18:35:36

@David-TP Thank you for confirming this for me, David.  I do think that your website leaves a lot to be desired in regards to ease of confirming the hardware version and which firmware to install.  As I mentioned in my first message, even the pdf instructions did not seem to be in the correct folders.

So far, the network has been doing very well with no dead spots in my residence.  Thanks again!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1011

Replies: 5

Tags

Firmware Update
Hardware Version
Related Articles