Deco PX50 Potential issue with DNS resolution on Guest Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-19 17:45:51
Tags: #DNS failure
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20220830 Rel. 71303

Noticed something funny with how DNS resolution is performed on the Guest Network of a Deco PX50 unit.

On my network I use pihole to perform ad blocking and I have configured the Deco PX50 to have the fixed IP of my pihole (192.168.68.100) as the primary DNS server in the DHCP settings.

This seems to work fine on the Main network as each of my devices can see the pihole, the use it for DNS queries and anything that is not blocked then goes out to OpenDNS for resolution.  If you look at the images below you will see how the Deco gives my laptop the DNS server as 192.168.68.100, which is pingable and a ping to google resolves correctly.

The story on the Guest Network is different as none of the devices can see the pihole, so DNS resolution fails.  If you look at the images below you will see how the Deco gives my laptop the DNS server as 192.168.68.100 which I cannot ping, and a ping to google also fails.

The pihole has been given a static IP address in the DHCP reservations and in the images below you will see how pihole has been set as the Primary DNS.

This seems like a bug as the Deco is giving clients a DNS server on the Guest Network that they cannot reach, which causes the DNS resolution to fail and makes it look like the internet is not available for devices connected to the Guest Network.

Any help to resolve would be appreciated please.

Thank-you.

Configuration of my Main Network

Configuration of my Guest Network

How the DNS Server is configured in The Deco App

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco PX50 Potential issue with DNS resolution on Guest Network
2023-02-20 09:38:58

@klamath404 Welcome to the community.

Your current issue is quite like this one:https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/599620

Since Pi-Hole server is also a main network client,  Deco will shield the local network from Guest users so guest devices can not access this customized DNS server anymore.

You could put Pi-hole as the primary DNS server, then use 8.8.8.8 as the secondary DNS server to see whether guest devices could get internet from Deco.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-23 19:59:48

@David-TP Thank-you for your email and I now understand why this is happening due to the Deco shielding one of its' clients on the local network from the guest network.

I can also see how putting a secondary DNS in could potentially solve the problem of client not being able to access sites on the internet, however this doesn't answer the use case I have on my network.

I want all traffic on my network, both the local network and guest network to route *all* DNS request through pihole so that ads can be filtered out, it seems that based on your explaination this it not possilble.  My previous wireless router (Archer AX20) seemed to handle this and routed all DNS traffic through pihole to block ads.

Would it be possible for this "featues" to be considered for inclusion in a future release of the firmware for the PX50?  Thank-you.

Options
2023-02-23 21:04:48

@David-TP  I suggest adding an additional option to select or add DNS servers for the guest network.

Options
2023-02-23 21:31:18

@klamath404 

Add your name to the list...

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/259432

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 502

Replies: 4

Tags