Adding another extender/repeater from an old TP extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-17 08:28:55
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a particular physical setup that requires me to extend an extender. 

Will the TL-WA850RE extender allow a next hop (repeater) to connect to it in it's default mode? (or would it need to be setup with WDS mode)?

If so can I do this with a router in repeater mode , or AP mode? Or can I just get another small extender? 

e.g. could I extend it with this one? 

TP-Link TL-WA850RE Wireless N300 Range Extender

Or this one

TP-Link TL-WA801N Wireless N300 Access Point

The first time I tried to extend the extender over to an old asus router but it didn't support repeater mode, and I could not figure out WDS bridging (although I'm not sure if the asus actually supported that anyway). 

The reason I want to extend the extender, rather than use a router repeater for the first hop and then connect to the extender is just because it's location is going into a kitchen and the kitchen owner wants minimum invasion. 

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Adding another extender/repeater from an old TP extender
2023-01-19 07:32:02

@PeterDee 

Hi, 

Except for connecting one more range extender behind TL-WA850RE, have you ever considered a twin-pack Mesh system, such as Deco E4/M4:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-e4/

Or A powerline extender kit, like TL-WPA4220KIT: https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

It is ok to connect one more range extender to extend the wireless network of TL-WA850RE but the network performance might not be ideal.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 565

Replies: 1

Related Articles