Deco M4 not connecting to nearest deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 not connecting to nearest deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:Deco M4 not connecting to nearest deco
2022-10-26 07:42:47 - last edited 2022-10-26 08:12:17

@Alexandre. Hi, It is highly appreciated for your test on Deco M5/M9 plus. I consulted the senior engineers earlier and you are right that the unlinked signal source does not have to be on 1.1.0/1.6.0. But the error on Deco M4 V2 is indeed caused by the non-1.1.0/1.6.0 firmware. The reason we can choose between Deco M5/M9 plus is the similarity of the Chipset which does not exist on Deco M4 V2 and V4. It might also explain why Deco M5/M9 plus has 1.5.0/1.6.0 firmware and Deco X55/50/M4 v4 have 1.0.0/1.1.0 firmware to a certain extent. So I guess Deco M5-1.6.0 is able to choose Deco M4-v2-1.5.5 as the signal source(So far, it is still suspending and I need to check later whether it is true or not.)

abhishekgujjar, Hi, I am sorry there is no way to update the Deco M4 v2 to  V4. It is more like a hardware limitation. But Deco M4 v2 will be updated to a similar firmware version as well.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-10-26 08:07:06

@David-TP  @Alexandre 

Isn't the primary purpose of these Decos is to be able to create a good mesh network ? If they are not even able to do basic connectivity based on signal strength, and that too with all of them being the same Deco M4 model, then what exactly has been developed and tested before releasing these Decos ? @Alexandre has been really helpful in trying to resolve this, thanks for that, but due to the hardware limitation of these Decos we could not solve this issue.

On the other hand @ImtiazAli wrote a comment saying they support only star topology - which is incorrect, he also questioned why do I have 4 Decos ? I can purchase as many as I want, aren't they supposed to work properly ? And @ImtiazAli you also mentioned that 3 Decos can cover 5500 sqft, yeah maybe if it's an empty 5500 sqft space with absolutely no walls! The truth is that even with just a couple of room walls in between a Deco, the speed drops to less then 20% of the original speed, so it definitely does not work as advertised, which is why I had to purchase more Decos, which also did not solve the problem.

Looks like this is an issue on most Deco models, and this is a basic requirement for these devices, does TP-Link not understand the importance of this ?

Options
2022-10-26 11:32:37

@abhishekgujjar 

My apologies for having you waste so much time yesterday and for giving you hope there is a straightforward solution. Everything lined out perfectly: the right hardware, you seamlessly updated firmware, connection configuration screen appeared. It is such a disappointment to fail on the last step when everything else before it went perfectly. 

I am still not convinced with explanation from TP-Link Support. Your master_bedroom Deco can connect to bedroom Deco on its own, you did observe it. So, while it can connect automatically when it feels like it, there is no way it will connect when told to do it manually?

I also recall same error message you had, with my M5 on beta code. After few tries I made it work, but what I have done to make it connect to where I want for some reason does not work for you.

From the other hand, Deco M5 with released firmware 1.6 connects where I want it to, with some delay and when I follow carefully steps I provided you, but it does.

If you are still OK to spend some more time troubleshooting your Deco mesh with me, I have one more test I want to ask you to run for me. After that, we can discuss workarounds. Workarounds may not be as good as manual Satellite Deco configuration, but if they work that would be better than nothing.

The test I want to ask you to do is the following:

1. Open connection configuration settings screen in your master_bedroom Deco, in Deco app. 

2. Change Auto to off but do not change anything else and DO NOT push SAVE.

3. Make screenshot of that screen and share it here in your reply. When you make screenshot with error message, half of the screen is covered by error text and I don't see what is underneath it.

4. In Deco app, go back to previous screen, without pushing SAVE. It'll ask you if you want to Leave or to Stay, choose Leave.

Thanks.

Options
2022-10-27 03:38:13 - last edited 2022-10-29 04:19:11

@abhishekgujjar I didn't say "only" star topology, I said "more of a".

Second, unless you're into serious streaming or online gaming or both, using 4 Decos indeed raises the eyebrows. If you don't wanna say the reason, it's fine. No need to be a jerk about it.

Third, I'm well aware of how connection speed drops because of walls & electronic appliances. That's why I've been using Deco M4 (US 2-pack, V2) in the first place for almost 2 years now. I'm assuming you have done the basic things to avoid losing speed (place the Decos on 5ft height at least & on open spaces, enable 5 ghz etc.)

Fourth, "same deco model" doesn't mean the functionality will be identical. There's "hardware version" & "firmware region" to consider also.

Finally, you're not the first one to ask for manual signal source or connecting to the nearest deco. Users have been asking for those features for years. I almost lost hope that Tp-link was gonna add them in the future.

But they're doing it, and you just have to wait for the update to roll out to other hardware versions.

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2022-11-02 16:31:48

@ImtiazAli 

I'm using 4 Decos because I'm in a space over 4500 square feet with walls and things in between, isn't that the primary reason for using these devices, why would someone into gaming or streaming need more Decos ? Adding Decos does not increase the speed of the connection, it's used for increasing coverage!!

Regarding the hardware and firmware version, that is a TP-Link technical spec and should be internal to TP-Link, as a customer we only choose the Deco model assuming they will all work together, if that's not the case then TP-Link should clearly specify compatible hardware/firmware versions during purchase. Since that is not specified, it's not the customers problem to later figure out whether the same models are compatible or not!!

So as a support person you need to consider what issues the customers are facing and provide some real support. It looks like you just complain, don't solve anything and just waste everyone's time. TP-Link internal issues are not our problem.

Options
2022-11-02 16:43:17

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your time and patience, really appreciate the great support you've been providing. Now I've been trying to switch off automatic source selection like you said, but just unable to save it, keep getting the same error. I even waited a while before clicking save, but the result is the same. Note that initially when I switch off auto, there is no source selected, I try to save this, it does not work, then later I select a source and try to save, this does not work either. Both screenshots below.

And yes, definitely the V4 Deco can connect to the V2 Deco, it does so initially and after all, the main Deco it eventually switches to is also a V2, so it's capable of doing that. 

Thanks again for your persistence in trying to solve this, let's keep trying if you have any other ideas.

Options
2022-11-02 18:22:42

@abhishekgujjar 

I suspect the lack of checkmark (source selected) is why beta firmware fails to save changes. But, there is also that thing I said before, which is beta firmware can't accept two changes at once. 

Here is what I want you to try:

Open Signal Source configuration settings again, turn Auto to off and select Living Room as a Preferred Deco. Make sure checkmark is at Living Room Deco. Then, hit SAVE and see if that works.

In essense, you will be telling Deco: "I do want to change Signal Source to manual, but I want you to stay connected to same Main Deco you do now." Meaning: one change, not two.

Let me know if that works. If it does, there will be next step. If that fails, you would need to email TP-Link Tech Support, I'll get you link with the form and tell what to say in email to them. I still believe we have miscommunication with @David-TP and sending email with properly worded problem description may have someone from next level support figure what is going on.

Options
2022-11-03 12:24:45

Hello,

So to summarize, since 3 years, no progress for those who have M4R(2.0) ??? 
3 years that TP-Link promises us things, but absolutely nothing happens ... If you were respectful of your customers, you would find a solution, or you would refund us, period.

Options
2022-11-04 09:00:35 - last edited 2022-11-04 09:00:52

@abhishekgujjar  If "it's not the customers problem to later figure out whether the same models are compatible or not", then it's not tp-link's problem to provide a solution either LOL

Also, It's not an "internal spec". It's literally written under every deco model!!!

I'm not a support person, I'm a user with some common sense

Options
2022-11-04 09:06:07 - last edited 2022-11-05 12:46:53

@Yoann They never promised "manual signal source selection"

Options