Packet loss Deco M5 Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-12 15:05:18 - last edited 2022-10-12 18:50:23
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1 Build 20220818 Rel. 36456

I am using my ISP provided router as the gateway device for my home network, with 3 Deco M5s connected in "Access Point" operation mode. Having the Deco units in "Router Mode" is not practical for me as it segregates the network and means I have to apply policies to both my ISP provided router and the Deco units. My desktop is connected to the ISP provided router, and other devices connected through the Deco units. When trying to communicate with other devices on my network (SSH, SFTP, printing/scanning, etc.) from my desktop, I frequently experience dropped packets which breaks the connection. The only way I have been able to mitigate this is by reducing the MTU size on the devices I am communicating with which is not an ideal solution. So it seems that large packets are being dropped rather than fragmented when over the MTU size, presumably after having the additional Ethernet headers appended. However, I'm not sure where in the network, nor why, the packets are being dropped. I also don't know how to go about finding where the issue lies.

Is it the fault of my ISP router, or the Deco, or neither (expected behaviour)? How would I find out?

Here's my network topology (other host devices have been omitted):

Options
1 Reply
Re:Packet loss Deco M5 Access Point mode
2022-10-13 06:21:14

@AV00 

The best way to discover this would be via a program called WireShark.. however its not that user friendly if you are not sure what you are looking at and how to filter the data.  

My gut feeling, if this is only happening on the Desktop, then its the ISP router..     You are cabled into the ISP router on a separate port from the rest of your network in theory, routers are designed to be the last point and not really a central hub like this.  The router will be re-encapsulating the traffic for moving between ports, which could be your issue. 

Try sticking a switch in between the router and your Desktop / Main Deco..   say PC port 1, deco port 2 and ISP router on 4...  that way the LAN traffic wont go near the ISP router, instead the switch will forward it to the Deco and on from there.

In short.. Routers are end points of your network and are bad at moving LAN traffic, they should only be used from going outside your network.   Instead use switches for internal traffic and have as few links to router as possible.. switches all the way.  

No guarantee that will work, but worth a try! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 600

Replies: 1

Related Articles