Can't create new Location in iPad or iPhone App

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-20 19:05:02
Tags: #Location creation fails
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I successfully reset my two Deco M5 devices. I am moving them to a new location - they have been working fine for a few years now. They are flashing Blue and both appear as different WiFi networks for me to log in to. So far, so good.

But when I try to create a new Location in the iPad or iPhone Deco App, it fails every time. I have tried being logged in to an Internet network (not the M5's WiFi  - they are not yet set up); I have tried being logged in to the two (default) M5 WiFi networks (although they are not yet set up). I tried tethering my iPad to my cell phone. I have tried it dozens of times in dozens of ways and it always fails.

I'm clearly doing it wrong somehow. I have three other locations in my Deco app v 2.14.15 (I help several friends with their WiFi).

I click the upper right + sign, then click "Location" to create a new Location. I name it, it then asks to "Select a device." But it is unclear to me which WiFi network I should be on while selecting the mystery device. I am not sure why I need to even select a device - why? Am I to select the device I am on (my iPad or iPhone) or none? None of the Deco devices appear in this list. And after selecting none, or one, or any combincation of devices from the huge list of possible "devices" - I always get the same error: Something went wrong, please try again.

[I cannot log in to the M5 devices to obtain their firmware version until I successfully create a Location.]

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't create new Location in iPad or iPhone App
2022-09-21 03:38:30

@Naminanu 

Hi, I think you actually need to create a new network, instead of adding a new location. See here:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2295/

Options
2022-09-21 19:15:08

@Naminanu 

Thanks!

Mr. Sometimes A RealIdiot

PS: now, of course, I wonder what the intended use of Locations is?

Options
2022-09-22 01:39:36

@Naminanu 

Hi, I think it might be used to easily figure out where the clients are located.

They put an instruction about how to use it and maybe it will help:

Set up Location on the Deco APP

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 3

Tags

Location creation fails
Related Articles