Archer C7 as repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 as repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C7 as repeater
Archer C7 as repeater
2022-07-22 19:39:51 - last edited 2022-07-25 07:56:49
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I got the Archer C7 - AC1750 and I wanted to use it as a wifi repeater. Before buying it, I saw this thread and it seemed possible.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/254836

However, the interface and options I get seem different. I can actually set it up as access point, but it only works with cable. I can't see anyway to take the connection from a WiFi signal.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C7 as repeater
2022-07-22 20:16:39

@KillyKlamm 

Hi,

What is the hardware verison of your Archer C7?

Does your router's user interface look similar to the screenshot below?

If it does, but you can't see the "Enable WDS Bridging" options in the menu Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters then maybe you are currently running the C7 in "Access Point" mode. If so, then switch the router to "Router" mode first (via the "Operation Mode" menu).

Options
2022-07-22 23:14:44

Ok, so I'm almost there.

Yes, I had changed to Access Point since that seemed natural to me, but that option only allows for wired connection.

So I went back to Router and I followed all the steps. It appeared as "Run" and, initially it didn't work, but I waited a bit and restarted the router a couple of times and eventually I had an internet connection. Yay!

However, I did it with 2.4 following the guide. I'd like to also repeat the 5 connection, so I wanted to access again the router to do it, but now I can't. 192.168.0.1 doesn't work anymore. And if I do 192.168.1.1 it brings me to the setup of the router whose signal I'm repeating. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Options
2022-07-23 00:42:34

@KillyKlamm 

When the repeater connects to the main router, then its IP address will change according to the subnet that is used by the main router.

Therefore the C7's LAN address will now be 192.168.1.something.

To find out the exact IP address, log into the router whose signal you are repeating and look for a place where it shows the IP addresses of all client devices that are connected to it. In case the Archer C7 doesn't show up with the name "Archer C7", then you need to look for it by its MAC address (which you should find on the label on the underside of the C7). Once you have obtained the IP address you can use it to access the GUI of the Archer C7 again.

If all fails, then you can also factory-reset the C7 via its Reset button and then the C7 will boot up in router mode again with its default IP address of 192.168.0.1.

By the way, even if the C7 allows you to establish WDS connections to the same main router simultaneously via both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, it is not recommended to do that. (although I am not sure what exactly is going to happen if both bands are connected)

The bands and SSIDs on which the C7 will "repeat" the wireless signals are still controlled via the Network -> Wireless menu.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2806

Replies: 3

Related Articles