MAC White Listing for Child Protection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-22 13:58:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Dear TP-Link Team,

I am using the router filters and time settings to control my kids internet access.

Unfortunately, this is now getting bypassed by spoofing a MAC address on a school Chromebook that I don't have control over.

Do you have any plans to offer whitelisting of MAC addresses? Unfortunately that's not available and without it I can't set up the protection needed.

Thank you!

Options
3 Reply
Re:MAC White Listing for Child Protection
2022-03-23 03:49:22

@vadim97 

Hi, Thank you for the feedback.

So far the feature request of whitelist has not been accepted yet.

Currently, if there is a workaround to set up a connection alert for a new device and once the notification is received, please add this device to Blacklist and force the device to use the actual MAC address for connection.

How to configure the Connection Alerts feature on the Deco app?

Options
2022-03-25 01:15:49

Thank you,  @David-TP 

Is the new device operational until blacklisted? Unfortunately I work 10-12 hours a day and commute for another 2, while a teenager has infinite time. Outside of hiring an L1 support team, as a parent I don't think I stand a chance of blacklisting a device every time a new MAC is spoofed. Or did I misunderstand how blacklisting works?

If my understanding is correct, do you think the feature request has any chance of making a backlog anytime soon or should I invest in a new network device rather than wait?

Regards,

-Vadim

Options
2022-03-25 12:58:26 - last edited 2022-03-25 12:59:21

@vadim97 

Mobile device connected to Deco mesh will be operational until it is blacklisted.

I would recommend investing in a new network device(s). The topic of MAC address randomization bypassing parental controls was raised with TP-Link in 2021, but there is no reply if and when that will make into firmware. Next firmware (ver. 1.6), which is currently in beta, targeting M5 now and M9 Plus in the future, does not have that functionality. 

If you have multiple Deco M9 Plus, you could reuse them in Access Point mode with the router (wireless or even just wired) which has strong parental controls and can deal with MAC address randomization. 

Otherwise, just replace Deco with some other brand.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 503

Replies: 3

Related Articles