New hub confusion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New hub confusion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
New hub confusion
New hub confusion
2022-02-04 11:50:33
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

Maybe someone could give me a little advice. We have Virgin Media broadband, but the wifi was terrible on the Hub 3 and we have a big house, so we got a number of Decos and spread then around. It helps considerably, although the speed upstairs is still a lot less than ethernet connections downstairs and it varies madly. Anyway, we recently upgraded to Gig1 internet with Virgin and got sent the Hub 4. I have installed the new hub and it's working correctly. In order to reconnect the Deco network, I simply plugged the first one back into the new hub and the others connected in due course. However, wireless devices are showing as connected to the original Hub 3, even though it isn't there anymore. The speed is comparable to the speed we had with Hub 3. When I go upstairs, disconnect a wireless device and reconnect it to the new Hub 4, my speed drops to virtually a standstill. THe wireless device is obviously connecting directly to the new hub, not the Deco network. Clearly, I have done something wrong, or not done something! Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this working properly? Many thanks :)

Options
5 Reply
Re:New hub confusion
2022-02-04 13:20:50 - last edited 2022-02-04 18:54:07

@Jellytot 

I am going to guess your home WiFi setup and correct me if I am wrong.

Initially, you had hub3 with WiFi SSID (network name) that I am going to call SSID1. 

Then, you deployed Deco mesh and in Deco app configured Main Network with SSID1.

Now, you've got hub4 and it runs with different WiFi SSID, I am going to call it SSID2.

What you see is WiFi devices still connect to SSID1, even with hub3 not there any more. You expected them to connect to SSID2.

Is this correct?

Options
2022-02-04 13:49:37

@Jellytot  Thanks for replying Alexandre and yes, that is completely correct. But I have been looking at it again and I think that probably, it is up to me to change the name of the network and password on the app. The situation with the actual hubs and devices etc., is as it should be, the app name just needs manually updated. Am I correct?

Jellytot wrote

Hi there,

Maybe someone could give me a little advice. We have Virgin Media broadband, but the wifi was terrible on the Hub 3 and we have a big house, so we got a number of Decos and spread then around. It helps considerably, although the speed upstairs is still a lot less than ethernet connections downstairs and it varies madly. Anyway, we recently upgraded to Gig1 internet with Virgin and got sent the Hub 4. I have installed the new hub and it's working correctly. In order to reconnect the Deco network, I simply plugged the first one back into the new hub and the others connected in due course. However, wireless devices are showing as connected to the original Hub 3, even though it isn't there anymore. The speed is comparable to the speed we had with Hub 3. When I go upstairs, disconnect a wireless device and reconnect it to the new Hub 4, my speed drops to virtually a standstill. THe wireless device is obviously connecting directly to the new hub, not the Deco network. Clearly, I have done something wrong, or not done something! Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this working properly? Many thanks :)

Options
2022-02-04 14:44:00

@Jellytot 

When you had hub3, what you haven't realized is you were running two separate independent WiFi networks under same SSID (network name): one from hub3 and another from Deco.

Deco does not expand hub3/4 WiFi, it runs its own WiFi network.

That may explain speed fluctuations you saw on your devices: if device is connected to hub3, and you walk to place where hub3 WiFi signal is weak, device will still be connected to hub3. The speed will drop. Only when hub3 WiFi signal gets extremely weak or disappears, device will reconnect to Deco WiFi and you'll see sudden unexplained spike in speed.

Having two WiFi networks with same SSID is unnecessary. Replacing hub3 with hub4 exposed it: your devices still keep connecting to Deco mesh, which of course has its "old" SSID and runs its WiFi.

Do not repeat that same mistake with hub4: keep different SSID on hub4 than it is in Deco. Even better would be to turn off hub4 WiFi. You've got Deco for WiFi coverage, use just it.

-----------------

A recommendation that may improve WiFi speeds at your house: change Deco Operating Mode to Access Point. This will eliminate all Deco overhead and provide maximum possible WiFi speed Deco can deliver at your place. You can find that setting in Deco app, under More/Advanced:

Options
2022-02-05 14:22:09

@Alexandre. Hi Alexandre, thanks very much for this information. Like many people, I suspect, I didn't know that Deco forms its own network, I simply assumed it extended the existing one. That explains why I am seeing what I am seeing. I am logged into the Decos for wifi now - speed is fairly decent upstairs, but still nowhere near the speed of wired connections downstairs. Anyway, I can work very well with what I have. It is already set to Access Point, but I think I will turn wifi off completely on the hub as you suggest and see if there is any effect from that. Many thanks again for you assistance with this...

Options
2022-02-05 20:42:59

@Jellytot 

Speaking about Deco mesh WiFi speeds.

I happened to own Deco M9 Plus. One is Main Deco in the middle of the first floor, another is Satellite in the middle of the second floor, connected to Main wirelessly.

With Main Deco, I am getting WiFi speeds of 300-450Mbps, best ever I recorded was 635Mbps. Satellite Deco delivers 250-350Mbps, best result is 490Mbps. 

WiFi is not wired connectivity, its speeds will fluctuate wildly. I can run back to back 4-5 speed tests with smartphone connected to Main Deco, and may get results that differ by 50% or more between best and worst speed test.

It is also important to place Satellite Deco units properly. Each must be placed where it can deliver good WiFi signal to wireless devices, and also get good WiFi signal from the Deco it is connected to.

You can check if your Satellite Deco gets good signal from Deco it is connected to. In Deco app, check Signal Source for each Satellite Deco M9, you should see something similar to this:

This Satellite Deco is connected to Main Deco named Living Room.

Signal in this example is three bars - that is excellent Satellite Deco placement. Two bars would be acceptable, but less than two bars - not a good place for Satellite Deco, it is too far from Deco it connects to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 602

Replies: 5

Related Articles